Left over part, After top end rebuild. Best guess ?

mikej43

Apr 14, 2005
Top end rebuild was completed sucessfuly. But...... I have one small bolt left over.
It is a very small 8mm, 8 fine thread. See picture.
The 8mm head has a tapered flange that is part of the head, below the flange it also has some sort of taperned neck.
I don't think it is the water pump drain bolt.
I don't think it is the bolt that holds the spring,that holds the tiny ball bearring that puts pressure on the pawl that controls the KIP valve opening.
I looked through service manual with no luck.
I am sure it is from the bike, was in the parts bins used in organizing parts. The bolt has that same metal almost painted grey finish the factory hardware have on these KDX's.
Driving me nuts [and bolts,ha] trying to figure where it belongs. Bike so far seems to run fine. Started on 7 kicks after rebuild. Have only run it 1/8 mile so far.

Attachments

• bestguess.JPG
    bestguess.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 278

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I know this doesn't help much now, but this is why I use small ziplock baggies & a sharpie to separate all of my parts when I disassemble.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I'm with mike. That flange looks like it is meant to be a shoulder that goes through a plastic part and keeps you from mashing it when you bolt it in... kind of a built in spacer thingy.

It's oddly short as well... Maybe under the front fender?

wrenchin4it

Jul 11, 2009
What i look at is the bolt head. Does it look clean, like it has been in oil,or somewhat protected or does it look like it has been out in the elements light rust,nicks etc.... hope this helps.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
I think the easiest way to find out (without guessing), is to disassemble it again and judge from that. But anyways, I have to agree with WFFR on this.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Oh, and for Indy MX, I graduated from the "ziplocks with sharpie" to a "zip lock with post it note stuck inside, written in pencil". The reason includes carb cleaner and degreaser, and their effects on sharpie :)

I have also had cases where an "extra screw" was something from the same bike, but lost long before this repair and and caught up somewhere (like a skid pan), that then worked it's way back into the parts pile. So it really is an extra...

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I think mikej43 SHOULD get the quarter :cool: 8mm socket head m6 1.0 thread check all the bolts around the radiator shrouds (3) each side and the coolant overflow tank (2)

the left radator vent is threaded the whole way so it's not that.

only thing I could say is take the bolts out of the shroud and make certain that they look like the one in the pic (you may have used an all threaded one there instead of on the exhuast hanger or somewhere like that

Top Bottom