Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It makes me laugh when I see stuff like this. (I work with engineers and as a general rule many have an overly high opinion of their abilities. I had one that I respect tell me it's because those were the kids he and I used to beat up on the playground.) Anyway...

I'm using my John Deere tractor today to push some rocks around and pick up some large one to relocate to my rock pile (I'm a rock rancher). Well all of a sudden I'm stuck, this is odd because my green monster is 4wd and this doesn't happen. So I extract myself baclwards up the hill I was stuck on using my loader to push me to traction and drive over to my shop door. I climb under and expect the worst but the front diff is locking up so I remove the driveshaft and find out that is my problem. See the front of the shaft is a press fit (remember this) in to the front universal assembly, not the brightest idea in my book but OK that's what I'm going to fix. When I go to remove the front universal assy from the splined shaft on the diff I see a snap ring. OK I remove the snap ring and it's not even a normal circular snap ring, it's a custom piece with an eliptical shape to it and it leaves about 3/4" open. But it's still stuck. I twist the assy and see a pin, OK that's what is holding it on the spline. So the snap ring is supposed to keep this pin from falling out I guess except the stupid snap ring spins in it's groove so that's not really a great solution. I pound out the roll pin and it's still stuck on the shaft. OK this is getting sill now we had a snap ring that really doesn't do much holding in a roll pin that was plenty tight as to not need anthing to keep it from dropping out. See roll pins are funny that way they are made for a tight fit so they don't come out. I clean things off a bit more and see yet another larger roll pin which I pound out and finally get the universal assy oof the splined stub.

So in review we have a roll pin to keep the universal assy from sliding off the splined shaft, things could have easily stopped here and lived happily ever after. But nooooo we need to have a smaller roll pin that gets pounded in to the larger roll pin to make sure it's extra tight because we don't want that big one (1/4") dropping out. OK fine lets be really safe but noooooo we also need a useless snap ring just in case bot roll pins fail. Oh and the loads on this pin? just about ZERO! Like all drive shafts it has a slip yoke to allow it to get longer and shorter.

No that everything is finally apart and I get a good laugh I fired up the MIG welder and made the press fit shaft a fused one. Tomorrow morning it all goes back together but I think the inner roll pin won't get replaced and I'll use a snap ring that stays in place and closes almost completly. :laugh:

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
You need one of these for rock collecting.I doubt it would get stuck in a little mud either!

Attachments

• 207130-KruppBucketWheel-1.JPG
    207130-KruppBucketWheel-1.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 146

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Holy SH!T, that is one BIG machine!!!

Pat, that's how engineers keep busy at work. When they finish a project and have nothing else to do they go back and add useless components or figure out how to make something simple more complicated. It sounds like the only time any of those roll pins would be used is when the driveshaft is out of the tractor.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I can see an entire city of "Larry the Cable Guys" with green caps on getting really pissed about now Pat! Now about them green parts prices? Vintage Bob
I've got many family members that currently work or have retired from Deere and that description is pretty spot on. The prices? OUCH! The few things in the yellow & green boxes I've had to buy were insane.

The only time I've gotten stuck is when this driveshaft failed, other than that it's been in mud & sand at some riding areas I was helping maintain that had bikes getting buried. :laugh:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thats it, no more Saturday cartoons for engineers! That contraption looks to house 100 men? A very delicate instrument indeed! Let me guess, an oil companies contraption? Vintage Bob

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Thats it, no more Saturday cartoons for engineers! That contraption looks to house 100 men? A very delicate instrument indeed! Let me guess, an oil companies contraption? Vintage Bob

Bob, that thing is an excavator used by a coal company in Germany. One of a kind, if you couldn't guess.

Not only is it huge and can move an assload of dirt, but the thing walks!! No wheels.

I've seen it on a couple of shows on Discovery channel.. It's quite cool.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
They are driving on the correct side of the road! I did not believe anyone in Europe did such things? Figured it was in the water? Gary!, No riding today??????? I do have an itch today, about 3 hours long. Vintage Bob

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Well, if we had jet skis, we'd be riding at my place..

We are suffering the consequences of blocking the natural flow of rain water run off. Ooops, should have laid in some pipe before putting the track in those sections...

We knew it was going to happen, but since it had been so dry, wasn't worried about it. At least we now know exact where the flooding will happen and can lay drain pipes in the right spots.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Patman said:
I'm a rock rancher
does this means you sing some folk music dressed like elvis or you just play with a guitar while riding a buffalo? ;)

that reminds me when we were kids, every time we dismantle a bike or try to repair a engine, always found something that was over engineered and we just made it simple, lighter or any other reason that came to head.
no need to tell the rest of the story :bang:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes I am a regular Rhinestone Cowboy.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
some of that is due to liability in the good old USA.

I had an old "mini" 4wd truck, one of the front wheels basically fell off going down the road. The only thing keeping the spindle nut from coming off was a tiny little keeper, which aparently was made out of metal about as hard as Parkay.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
IndyMX said:
Bob, that thing is an excavator used by a coal company in Germany. One of a kind, if you couldn't guess.

I was with Fox on this one. I could have sworn Fineas and Pherb built that in their backyard one afternoon.

Top Bottom