m304051

Jul 19, 2003
When you get a new KDX220 and replace those cheesy stock hand guards with something else, what bolts fit the perches and levers?
You could leave the stock ones in, but they stick out a long way on the bottom and could stab you in a crash and the tops stick up really high too. I asked the dealer if the KX ones fit and they said no.

jaredr

May 10, 2003
My 250 had the same thing. I looked a little and finally just shortened both the head and threaded side with a cut-off saw (circular fiber blade) then dressed it up on a grinding wheel.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
I bought 2 set of complete cheap perch kit (7.99$)and i took off the bolt, they
fit like the old ones.i putted the spare parts in my fanny pack in case of a bad crash...

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Awhile back I broke the bolt on mine and had to make a quick fix. I found a bolt with the same thread and headed for the hardware store and found a brass barrel exactly the right diameter to fit in the lever.

peterryan01

May 6, 2003
I replaced my hand guards really soon after I got my '01 KDX 200 in '02. The parts are still the same on the new KDX's. The best thing to do is to get the bolts from a KX250 and also get the rubber boots for the brake and clutch from a KX250. Just don't pay too much. Once place tried to sell me the KX boots for $30, but it turned out I could get the pair for $18 somewhere else. Also, don't let them charge more than $8.00 for the KX bolts. This is what I did and it looks great! There are no bolts sticking out and the rubber boots keep dust away from where it shouldn't be. I think it is well worth the money. It looks totally sano.

peterryan01

May 6, 2003
No problem.

The dealers tried to tell me KX bolts didn't work, too, but I couldn't be happier to be honest. They fit perfectly (no bolt sticking out bottom or top) and they fit the rubber boots, also. I was told by two dealers that they didn't fit - I finally just got pissed and ordered them and they work perfectly. The dealers don't always know what they're talking about. All I know is that it worked well for me.

m304051

Jul 19, 2003
What year did you tell them you needed bolts for? It seems to matter for the levers themselves, so I thought that it might for the bolts also.

peterryan01

May 6, 2003
I did my levers so long ago, I forgot that I ended up getting the lever bolts from Fredette. I was actually never able to get KX bolts. I apologize for my misinformation. Contact Fredette for the bolts. They fit perfectly, while the rubber boots from the KX also fit perfectly. I just remembered the dealers being inaccurate in what will fit what. As it turns out, it was me. :( So, all in all, contact Fredette for the bolts, and get the rubber boots for brake and clutch for a KX. This will work - as it has for me.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
For the clutch side, check with your local shop and see if they can get emgo parts- they make levers,oil filters,grips and all sorts of cheap aftermarket stuff.Ask the dealer if he can get EMGO part #E34-73507, this will unfortunately only fit the clutch side,should be under $1.00, yes one dollar.I have unfortunately not been able to find one that will fit the front brake side this is a standard 8mm lever bolt but the shoulder part the lever pivots on has to be slightly longer for the increased thickness of the brake cylinder and if you install the same bolt as the clutch side it is to short if I remember correctly.I will check my friends kx this weekend to see what the difference is.

Honda has the same size bolts as I recall,8mm, might want to try and see if the bike shop might have one in stock to compare it with.
If all else fails go to a bearing shop and get a oilite bushing with a 6mm inside diameter and a 8mm outside diameter,measure the length of the shoulder on the original pivot bolt for the length of the oilite bushing and just run a 6mm bolt with a small washer under the head thru the bushing and out the bottom of the perch and install a locknut on the bottom,works just as well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom