Light MX suspension setup for '90 model?

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
Since I got my '90 model KDX, I've spent more weekends at the MX track than in the trails. I'm looking for suspension setup advice for light MX riding without destroying the setup for trails. I've just put in 21lb fork springs (I weigh 170lbs in street clothes) to stiffen the front a little. I can't see where there's any external damping adjustment on the forks, am I blind? What are good sag and damping settings (front and rear) for this model for this type of riding?

Any input would be appreciated. I'm 38 and this is my first year of "catching air." So far it has cost me a broken ankle and injured back. I've got no plans to ever nail 90' triples (or 90' tabletops for that matter), but I would like it to handle the smaller stuff a little better and give the right kind of feedback.

Thanks,
Old & Slow but Willing to Try

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Your compression damping adjuster is located on the bottom of each outer fork tube - it is covered by a rubber plug. You can leave the plug out - it makes adjusting the damping a pain. Turn it in to increase damping on MX bumps, and back out for more compliance on trail rocks, etc... Raising the oil level will increase your reistance to bottoming if that is a problem.

However, the stock fork is not very good for either MX or woods, even with stiffer springs. For your bike, the Race Tech Cartridge Fork Emulator makes a big improvement in fork performance. It is relatively easy to install but the disadvantage is you cannot adjust the fork externally. The emulator can be adjusted but you have to take the fork springs out (it is located beneath the spring).

If you are determined to MX, you would probably be happier with another bike, but your stock fork can be much improved.

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
Thanks for the info. I'm kicking around the idea of buying a MX bike, just having a hard time letting go of the coin. I rode a friend's 2002 CR-250 at the track and it was definitely 'different' than my bike and would take some getting used to. The hit off the bottom was huge and it felt like it would really punish you if you ever lost control of the throttle and twisted it unintentionally. I'll probably stick with the KDX because I prefer trail riding. The MX learning curve has been pretty painful so far and it won't take too many more hard spills before I give it up or slow WAY down.

Top Bottom