dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I am in need of lighter springs all around for my 2001 Cr125. I was wondering if I could locate some used lighter springs, or if I cant find them and have to buy new, do you think anyone would want my stock springs? Is there a market for used springs?

BTW according to the mx-tech spring rate calculator I need some .36 fork springs, and a 4.1 shock spring.

Thanks

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Dell you will find it very hard to get second hand spring as light as that, you should easily be able to sell your std ones as they fit alot of different bikes.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
hi dell, have you tried all of the sag measurements with your current setup? the more i read (although imay get corrected), i see that the jap bikes come sprung for lighter people and more often than not the hop up shops put in heavier springs with heavier valving. i expect the bike feels very much different than the 80, and by the sounds of it you are a growing lad so in a years time you might be 6'2'' and 180lbs, so even if you buy lighter springs it may be worth keeping the current ones (unless you bought the bike from a 300lbs dude!)

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
The bike has stock springs I believe, I am now broke as a joke since buying this bike, so If I could sell the stockers It would really help me out.

I am also going to call around to a few suspension shops to see if they have any lighter springs they would be willing to let go of for cheap.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
dell: what measurements did you get.......my spring rates are supposedly miles off (if the codes are correct) but the sag (free and race) are ok.....how far off are you?, if you're broke can you work with the current setup? maybe worth giving it atry before you splash more cash, my bet is at the rate you got through that 80, by the time you get saved up you might not need them springs! good luck.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Thanks marcus, I havent thought of trying a lighter oil. I do think that the fork springs are just too stiff, and that there isnt much of a cure for that, except for lighter ones. The fork skips and is just too plain stiff, even though I am running the lowest compression setting.

The suspension is tolerable on jump landings if I land front wheel first, but If I land rear wheel first when the forks slap down its almost unbearable. ( WhaaaBAM! )

On small, hardpack stutter bumps when on the gas the front end skips and begins to bobble from side to side.

I have learned to cope with it a little bit, but of anything on the bike (motor, tires etc..) it is whats slowing me down the most.

Thanks for the help, comments are appreciated!

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Dell, Ryan had the same problem moving up to a YZ125. Lighter fork springs saved the day. Oil height and weight will help a bit for your lack of weight. The other thing is getting used to gripping the bike in the knees and being either being on the gas or off, no coasting. This also helps with headshake that sometimes arrives.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom