kkencr250

Sep 25, 2006
I did some research on here about this but couldn't really find a clear answer. I have a 98 cr250 that I ride out at glamis. I want to add a light onto it. I've looked at baja designs, eline accessories and checked out their stuff so I have an idea of what I want as which lights, but what exactly do I need to do to the stator? Can I have mine rewound to handle the watts for lights? Is that it w/ the exception of hooking up a switch? Or do I need to do other things as well. Can I use an existing stator from a different bike, crfx for example? Any help would be much appreciated, i'm tired of sitting at camp when everyone wants to head over to the hill at night to watch the festivities. My cr is my baby, so getting a bike w/ a light already on it is out of the question.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Not sure if a stator off of a CRFX would work. You will need to get a stator with two seperate coils. One coil is for the ignition and the other for the lights. If you have room for a small sealed cell battery, you can charge the battery as well with the new stator. Depending on the amount of time you want to ride with the light on, you could go battery only. You can get 7 ah 12 volt DC battery for $20-25. A small Altronix power supply/battery charger is another $30. This would give you several hours of light without having to change the stator. The light would stay a constant intensity as well. I beleive that you could get this battery to fit behind the headlight and it shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a bracket to hold it. Hope this helps.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I've heard good things about "Ricky Stator".........a company you can find in the back of most dirt bike magazines that can rewind your existing stator, for about $150?

kkencr250

Sep 25, 2006
Thanks for the responses. Bswift, how long would a set up like that last? I'm sure I wouldn't need more than a couple of hours tops. What exactly would I have to do and buy to do this? A 7 ah battery and a charger for it? What is a 7 ah battery? Thanks again, I like the idea of not having to change anything w/ the stator.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
IF you have the cash, go with the eline/baja designs 200 watt stator, i have one on my 02 cr250(eline stator and baja designs 8" round headlight) and good god, its like having a car fallowing you its so bright. ive tried the wimpy 60-80 watt "add on" stator coils and they dont even compare. im running 90 watts of lighting right now and still have 110 watts to spare!!! not only that but if you ride mostly trails the external stator uses an add on flywheel magnet for an additional 13oz (i think) of rotating mass on the crank
also keep in mind, when the stator mfg.s state a wattage rating, its wattage at max rpm. so in the low end of the rpm band, a 60 watt stator may only be putting out 20 or so watts

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The length of time that a charge will last on a battery is determined by the wattage of the lights you are running. A 35 watt 12 volt bulb will draw about 3 amps. I'll see if I can plug into the formula for how long it would last. A 7 ah battery is roughly 7"x3"x4" in dimensions. These batteries are used for commercial and residential alarm systems as well as UPS backup power supplies. Most any alarm company could sell you everything that you need. They also make smaller size batteries in a 4 ah rating. The
"ah" stands for "amp hour" rating.
Rough calculations using a 35W bulb and a 7 ah battery would yeild about 3 hours of continuous light. These batteries are usually good for about 5 years unless they are completely discharged. If they are charged when they have at least 20% left, they will recharge fully and continue to give good service. I'll try to take a pic of what you would need and post it later.
I buy these batteries and power supply/chargers all the time but I get them at whole sale distributors. Finding the power supply/charger that I have specified at a retail store is not likely but any 12 volt DC charger should work. The prices will vary considerably however. The recharge time from 20% charge to full charge will be about 4 hours and there is no need to remove the charger from the battery when not in use, the power supply/charger is designed not to overcharge the battery.
If you opt for the smaller 4 ah battery, you could buy 2 and and either change them out as needed or parallel them to have 8 ah of battery power. There are also Nickle medal hydride batteries that are smaller in size but higher in price. The batteries that I use are gel cell, sealed batteries with spade lug connections.

Last edited:

kkencr250

Sep 25, 2006
Thanks for all the great info. I think I have an idea of how to do it. I checked out the batteries etc. and now just thinking of how to mount it. Have you tried this before on a bike? Again, thanks for your help.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I haven't but several members have. They may chime in and give you some tips.

Top Bottom