SBZ

Mar 12, 2004
After replacing the bearings in the linkage on my bike I tried to put the newe seals in.........alot harder than I thought.
They don't seem like they want to go in (they are the right seals....I checked).
I don't want to put to much pressure on them because they feel like they want to bend.

Does anyone know of a good method to install these because I'm starting to get really frustrated.

Any help would be appreciated.

The bike is a 99 CR 250.

B

biglou

I usually drive them in with a socket that is just smaller thant the bore they are going into. Place the seal squarely over the opening, place socket squarely on seal, tap in with rubber mallet.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Not familiar with the Honda's but having just done the same job on my Son's 03' RM125, I used the outer bush to press home each oil seal. I put each seal in as far as I could by pressing with my fingers(make sure it's in squarely) then put the bush in, and cramped it up in a woodworking vice to push it home the last bit.
Remember they are performing the job more like a dust seal than an oil seal, it is under no pressure, and is there to keep the muck and water out and the grease in. Also I used waterfroof grease.
Hope this helps Sean

SBZ

Mar 12, 2004
Thanks for the info....all the other seals on the linkage went in fine except for the small ones that are by the bottom of the shock.
All the seals that went in were made by Pivot Works while the ones that wouldn't fit were OEM.
I have ordered slightly smaller seals and will try them tomorrow.

SBZ

Mar 12, 2004
Thanks,I'll try the freezer.......they definitely wouldn't go in with just the pressure from my thumbs.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
Thanks SBZ, it's good to see you closing off the loop and taking the time to say what did/didn't work. With so many threads, Q's are asked, advice is given, but not very often fed back on, well done.

Top Bottom