Liquid Cooled Vs Air Cooled Classes

duke

Oct 9, 1999
When I left AHRMA racing in the late 90's, the evo classes were just beginning to surface locally with non AHRMA affiliated/sanctioned clubs offering them. I am aware of the current popularity of these era bikes, and I am toying with the notion of returning to vintage racing next year. I havent decided between air cooled vs water cooled bikes. My concern is that the those water cooled bikes in being some 25 years old, are fraught with more damage/wear brought about by the use of liquid cooled motors. Difficulty in locating parts for the pumps, damage to an idle motor , the result of it being left with significant rust or oxidation. Or am I worrying too much. I recognize that for the short motos, a liquid cooled motor doesnt have much, if any advantage. Even if it did, the AHRMA classes are seperated. But some of the liquid cooled models did incorporate mechanical advances that do make for a bike thats ergonically more in line with whats offered today, along with slightly better suspension, ie Full Floater Suzukis, etc..

jrm

Apr 30, 2002
You have to be careful re: vintage waterpumpers for the reasons you mention, but there are an awful lot of clean RMs, YZs, and CRs available, and parts are often readily available at the dealers (at least for Hondas and Yamahas). The suspension on these bikes is worlds better than the twin shockers (at least the RM and CR). Don't sell the water cooled bikes short in the engine department either. True, in a short race it won't make much of a cooling difference, but the real difference is that the watercooled bikes could be designed to much closer tolerances and to higher HP levels. Consequently, the watercooled bikes are generally quite a bit faster than their similarly-sized air-cooled counterparts. In particular, the 82-83 CR250 and RM250 are very fast, good-handling machines. They really dominate the AHRMA classes in which they're eligible to run (Ultima and Age Group classes).

Find one and race it. You won't regret it.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the response. Besides all the merits you pointed out, my observation is that the liquid cooled bikes are not yet "cursed" with a collectable price. Most dont see them in the same light as say a Pursang/Falta, et al, so prices are still reasonable

jrm

Apr 30, 2002
You're right, but I'm afraid that's beginning to change as more and more people take up Evo/Post Vintage racing. I just heard from a pretty reliable source of a very clean (paint not worn off the clutch cover yet) 82 CR250 selling for $3900 in Ohio. That's almost 3x what that bike cost new. But I think you can get a clean PV eligible 250 in decent shape for 2K or less. The RMs and CRs will command a slightly higher price; I've not seen too many YZs around (this wasn't Yam's best era) and, of course, the water cooled KXs are not AHRMA legal b/c of the disc brake on front.

Good luck and have fun w/ whatever you get.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
In regards to the vintage prices going outragous - did you see the twin piper @ $9k plus on evilbay?! The prices can be obscene! :|

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Fair deals can be had. A friend of mine bought a super 83 CR250 last year about April or May for $1700, with a spare lower end, shock, wheels and misc. other parts. He hasn't done ANYTHING to it but clean it between races and change oil. Runs great and he's as happy as can be with it. Another friend got an 82 RM250 that needed a fair amount of cosmetic work but runs very good for $700 last winter. But from what I've seen in the past few years, the worst time to buy old motocross bikes for AHRMA racing is late January until about mid April. Best time seems to be mid summer, especially for parts and parts bikes.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
When I first ventured into vintage mx, those bikes regulated to the primere classes were quickly becoming more rare each passing season, BSA's, Cottons and other exotica gradually found themselves in personal museums rather then the track because parts were becoming rare and the people who raced them were getting too old, in their minds anyway. As years pass, the bikes rarity increase as do their value, rendering their owners to be more hestitant in racing them. The Twin Pipes are now appraoching that status. Generic 4 and 5 speed CZ's, Honda Elsinore and Husky Mags will follow. To me vintage has always served as a low cost sensible means to race MX. But timing is everything, and it is apparent that the popularity is ever increasing, placing an even greater demand for older bikes in all their guises, air or liquid cooled

Top Bottom