XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
CRF150R v.s. CRF230F

I know these bikes are from different classes, one being an MX bike and the other a trail bike, but I like what each has to offer. Here's what I've come up with for pros/cons.

The CRF150R is a lightweight, quick bike. It has good acceleration and good suspension. Front and rear disc brakes and is liquid cooled. But, its expensive and has a smaller gas tank than the 230F.

The 230F is less expensive has a wide-ratio transmission which is better for strictly trail riding. It has a larger engine than the 150R which gives me room to grow without growing out of the bike totally. But, it has crappier suspension, drum brake at the rear, is air cooled, and has slower acceleration. And its alot heavier.

I love the looks of the 150R, but am afraid it will be too quick on the lower gears for trails. I am not a strictly trail rider but would like a bike that could handle them half-way decent. Could the 150R do the job? And if I need its speed, its always there when I need it. And there are alot of aftermarket parts out for the 230F that could make it quicker and a better bike overall.

What do you guys with more experience think?

mongial

Oct 28, 2006
Being that the 150 is expensive, you could always take the money saved from buying a 230 and put it into hopping up the 230. Either will work for a trail bike although the 230 might be a little better(more lugging around the woods oriented). Just my opinion.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My guess is the 150R would eat the 230 for lunch despite the larger motor on the 230. Other than that you've got them pegged pretty well I'd say, so only you can decide which is going to suit your needs better.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
No matter how much you hop up the 230 it will always be a 240lb pig. I honestly can't think of a market for the CRF230 or the TT-R230. They obviously sell though or they wouldn't still be making them. I would recommend a KDX200/220 before either of the 230's.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
XMotoX said:
CRF150R v.s. CRF230F
The 230F is less expensive has a wide-ratio transmission which is better for strictly trail riding. It has a larger engine than the 150R which gives me room to grow without growing out of the bike totally. But, it has crappier suspension, drum brake at the rear, is air cooled, and has slower acceleration. And its alot heavier.
I have to mention that the bigger engine means nothing in this comparison. Admitting that I have ridden neither of these bikes, don't let displacement fool you. You will outgrow that motor before you outgrow the bike. While it is a good bike to learn on, it is an overweight slug. Another disadvantage is the inability of the play bikes to turn. Anybody that has ridden a bike of that genre and an MX bike will notice the difference. Given your intent, I think that you will be happier with the 150R. If it is too high strung, it shouldn't be long before somebody starts producing flywheel weights for it.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks guys. I've looked at some aftermarket parts for the 230F like you said, to hop it up a little, but really, I don't like how heavy it is. I would no doubt feel more comfortable on a lighter bike like the 150R and it seems like the bike for me to start saving for. It's small enough for me to feel comfortable learning on and still has the power to eat up the tracks once I get more experience.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
exactly, the 230 is an oversized pig/slug. the 150R is smaller and alot lighter. believe me, youll notice the difference between the two. the 150R is 80lbs. lightler! and is alot faster. a 230 is barely different than a CRF100F is overall speed. its basically the same, only its got a tiny bit more acceleration and its only about 5-10mph. faster than a CRF100F. the 230's chassis is also extemely outdated. i rode a 05' CRF230F about a month ago on a track and on trails,and it was awful, i felt more comfortable on my brother's 85! you could barely turn with it, and i was maxing out the power on my first ride on the trails. i dont want to get into how different the suspension is on these two bikes. out of these two choices, id definelty go for the 150R.

Top Bottom