Locktite threadlock

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
Need some help here , bought a used bike and just took off my head and cylinder and cleaned it , (and inspected the top end and gaskets)......slipped my mind to pick up locktite or a comparable threadlock.....what color should i use? provided that the color repressents strength

thanks for any help in advance :debil:

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
whoops forgot...bought bike used a couple months ago...but didnt get a sevice manual...thats what i meant to say

KX125pinball

Jul 28, 2002
I wouldn't bother unless you are race really hard. If you do use the blue coloured locktite. Its non-permanent and breaks at 20N-M. It can be removed easily with a spanner.

ilikeriding

Jul 19, 2002
if you EVER use RED, don't plan on getting it off... just to let you know. The only way of getting RED off is by using a torch. Red comes in blue bottles and the blue (which you should use more often) comes in Red bottles

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
And try to stay away from green. It will find places you sure don't want it to find. Red works if you have to replace an old worn wheel bearing. It will fill the gap (egged out) that has been made in the race and possibly help the new bearing last.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Don't use LocTite on head and cylinder fasteners.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
why not? i replaced my friend's topend for him ('98 CR125) and the service manual recommended using threadlock....

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Fasteners with threadlock on them will give false torque readings once the threadlock cures.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001

Actually the green was designed for the log milling idusty for bearings on the cutting tools. I got that from Loctite through their help e-mail. Per their reccomendation I used it for my crank bearings that had pounded out the cases about .006. The green can be used for up to .015 clearances and has a tensile strength of 10,000psi if I remember correctly. Anyway the loctite guy said green will work fine for engine bearings.
Red is listed for fasteners on their website but check the # because they have one that is for small fasteners that isn't quite as strong as the regular red.
Jason

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by FDR492
oh
so i shouldnt threadlock them at all?

I wouldn't.

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
I am dead set against loctite. Maybe to a fault. But I tend to think that properly torqued fasteners with antisieze on them will not back off in service, but you can get them off again when you want to.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by Birken Vogt
I am dead set against loctite. Maybe to a fault. But I tend to think that properly torqued fasteners with antisieze on them will not back off in service, but you can get them off again when you want to.

I guess it depends on what its used for. In the Cobra clutch you can go about two moto's before the clutch bolts back off unless you use Loctite. I have tried evrything from tight to really F'in tight to bend your allen key tight all with the same effect. But its a weird centrifugal clutch that the bolts are under stress everytime the clutch engages. I like to get about 4 moto's out of the clutch without pulling it apart.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…