mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I have a problem of certain bolts becoming loose on my KDX eventhough I have tighten them down to their specified torque. I would like to use loctite blue on them, but have heard they still get loose. Should I use red (permanent), or will it be "impossible" to remove the bolts?

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
Give the blue a try. If it is not strong enough then go to red. I have never had much of a problem with the blue stuff and it is much easier to break loose when you go to disassemble

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Loctite blue=ordinary handtools. Red=Extraordinary hand tools and maybe heat.(says something like that on the package.
Blue should be all you need. If your sure you never want to dissasemble, use red.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I use blue all over the place: Front axle cap, flywheel, sprocket guard, kickstand, pipe mounts.

Beats losing stuff.

I happened to be out of blue (it's only something like $2000/gal!! ;) ), used red on my kickstart knuckle. oops. It got on the splines. Getting the nut off wasn't a problem..but I never DID get the knuckle off. Was just going to do some filing on it for better lever/knuckle fit, so I didn't HAVE to get it off.

..so I didn't :(

I'll have to get a puller for it. I've always wanted to get one of those anyway!!

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
One thing to check, is that there is a LOT more to Loctite (and Permatex) thread locking products than simply looking at the color. For a quick example, for just the red, there is red high strength 271, red permanent 262, red high temp 272, and the list goes on. As Murphy's law has it, the one you want is hard to find. (I hunted all over for the 262 last winter for locking a snowmobile's powervalve bellows nut).

If you go to their websites, you can read about all the various thread lockers available.

BTW, contrary to popular horror tale, it is just fine to use the blue compounds on aluminum. In fact, it is a good thing as it seals the thread.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom