250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
How can I cross a log across the trail without wiping out??I have trouble since my bike is pretty tall for me and I can only get one foot on the ground,so putting my feet down will not save me.And I am not big enough to manhandle my bike quite like the guys can.I often get my front tire on it,then my front tire slips sideways and then I do a faceplant and crush my bootless leg between the log and the bike.The logs are often slippery and all different sizes.So what are my options?
Thanks all,
250girl

andrew peck

Dec 20, 2007
get some boots and lean back on the seat a little till the front comes up just a little and then u should have no problems getting over the log just make sure the log isnt so tall that it will hit the frame of the bike when you go across it but use the clutch if you cant get the front tire of the ground from leaning back

BLACKeR

Oct 30, 2007
weight back, legs pinching the bike, finger on the clutch. get the front as light as you can, and keep your throttle steady. as the rear starts to crest shift your weight forward. ideally you dont apply gas when your rear is crossing a slippery log. if your tire is spinning its much more likely to wash out. on some tight stuff thats impossible, so you just need to be real steady on the throttle. the faster you go the easier its going to be. and do yourself a favor, get some boots. a descent pair of boots is $100 how much does a broken ankle cost you, or a torn up foot?

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Getting my front tire up is no problem,a flick of the throttle does that,even if I have all of my weight on the front.I just need to learn to control it a little better.And yes,I know I need boots,I have been hardcore trail riding in my runners for two years now and have some impressive scars,lumps and multi coloured shins to show for it.They are just so expensive around here,I can't get them new for les than 200 or 250 bucks.And thank you everybody for your advice,it is much apprecited :nod:

BLACKeR

Oct 30, 2007
you cant order from rocky mountain? with how good the canadian dollar is right now, it seems like an ideal time to buy boots from an american retailer.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Check some of the local classified sites (craigslist, kijiji, etc) for some good buys on used boots. I know the Vancouver craigslist has a ton of motorcycle stuff posted everyday.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
The two most important things to crossing logs are these:

1. Always hit the log at a 90 degree angle (perpendicular). If you are off, your front tire will wash out.

2. Always keep your momentum up. Ideally you should not have to gas the rear tire over the log, you should hit the gas just as the front tire hits. This pulls weight off the front tire. Then just let the back tire hit and roll over.

Many times if you go too slow, your front tire makes it, but your back tire gets caught, because the log is slippery. Or even worse, the log is so big that your hung up on the bottom of your frame. At this point you are really screwed.

The lighter the front is as it hits the log, the more forgiving the "90 degree rule is. This means if you have to cross a log at a crazy angle, you had better just about pop a wheelie over it.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
andrew peck said:
...just make sure the log isnt so tall that it will hit the frame of the bike when you go across it ...
I often use the frame as a "slide" when crossing large logs. Just make sure you have enough speed to allow the bike to slide across the log with enough left over to let the rear tire pop over it as well. Remember though, once your front tire clears you don't want to give it any gas until the rear tire is AT LEAST on top of the log.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
OldTimer said:
I often use the frame as a "slide" when crossing large logs. Just make sure you have enough speed to allow the bike to slide across the log with enough left over to let the rear tire pop over it as well. Remember though, once your front tire clears you don't want to give it any gas until the rear tire is AT LEAST on top of the log.
Well said! Crossing a 55 gallon drum using the above technique:

http://themxtrack.com/Barrel.wmv

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
LOL,yes,carrying a chainsaw would be awesome.BUT,when I wipe out,do I really want to fall on a chainsaw???I have often thought of it for clearing big trees out of the way,but I can go do that on my horse :nod:

And thank you everybody for all of the helpfull advice,hopefully no more faceplants and leg injuries for me ;)

Top Bottom