longevity of titanium vs stainless steel footpegs & sharpening them

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
My stock 02 YZ250 footpegs are getting rounded on the front edges. I'm set on the Lightspeed Performance GYT-R knock offs, but don't know if I should get the stainless steel ($99) or titanium ($199). Is there any longevity advantage to titanium? i.e. will it last twice as long? (Weight advantage doesn't matter to me)

also, I'm thinking of sharpening them with a dremel, but this will only prolong the inevitable, buying new pegs. Any tips?

Thank you.

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
Just sharpen them real good. Aftermarket pegs are a waste unless the teeth are wore off your pegs in my opinion. I usually sharpen my pegs up real good every week and I find it makes a big difference eventually the teeth will wear off as they get dull again after a week and need to be sharpened but at the end of the season I am getting a new bike so it doesnt matter.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I have the fastway pegs and they are awesome!!! That super wide platform rules! Oh and mine are just the stainless one. Two seasons and no problems

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I jumped off my bike (with narrow stock pegs) and on a friends bike with fastways. My feet were hurting from being on the pegs all day. It was a real nice to get on his bike and I noticed it right away. Wider is better :) Aftermarket pegs are worth it if you ask me.

Buy sharpening them you are putting off eventualy buying new pegs, but why not get the most out of what you got if you can? IF the stock ones are wide enough then I say put the money in the bank and wait until you stockers are pretty gone from sharpening.

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Thank you all for the feedback on wider vs. stock and the merits of sharpening. It's very helpful.

Now, what's the deal with titanium? Is it harder and will it last longer? Like twice as long since it's twice as expensive (hahaha)

Thanks

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
The way I understand it is titanium is lighter but not as durable and have a greater chance of cracking/breaking over stainless steel.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
Although I know nothing about footpegs, (why do they need sharpening anyways? just so your boots grip them better?) I do know a bit about metals (but I might be wrong anyways) :thumb:

Titanium is harder than steel, so I would assume that the titanium pegs would stay sharp longer. However, I have heard that the harder something is, the more brittle it is. For example, if you drop a nail (soft steel) it will bounce a little and that's it. If you drop something like a cutter for a lathe (hard steel) it shatters. I don't know how brittle titanium is, but it probably is more prone to cracking than stainless steel.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom