cmcgrogan

Sep 2, 2009
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5ft 4in 115lb
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
pretty aggresive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods fields hill climbs thick woods swamps rivers bigger rocks trail riding
4) Do you have any riding experience?
yes
5) Do you think you will race ?
no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
not really kinda leaning to the 2strokes
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
yes all
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
1200 max
10) Do you live in California?
no
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
i had a ttr90 completely wrecked it from ridding so hard and the conditions i put it through i have been looking for like kx100s i wish i could get a 150f but waaaay to much

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
cmcgrogan said:
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5ft 4in 115lb
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
pretty aggresive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods fields hill climbs thick woods swamps rivers bigger rocks trail riding
4) Do you have any riding experience?
yes
5) Do you think you will race ?
no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
not really kinda leaning to the 2strokes
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
yes all
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
1200 max
10) Do you live in California?
no
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
i had a ttr90 completely wrecked it from ridding so hard and the conditions i put it through i have been looking for like kx100s i wish i could get a 150f but waaaay to much

you shouldn't have wrecked your 90 if you were maintaining it properly, i don't mean to criticize you or anything. but agreeably a 90 is a little small for your needs.

i would look for a mid to late 90's 2 stroke 125. they can be had easily in great condition for under a grand, which would give you a little more money for proper gear

i have a heavily modified cr125 and its crazy fast, it puts my buddy's yz426f to shame so don't exclude those older 2 strokes from your search.

hope i was some help.

-mike

cmcgrogan

Sep 2, 2009
Yea I didn't maintain the bike it all its pretty sad cuz it could of been a good bike but I just beat the **** out of it. I even went through a river deep enough to have it stall and I didn't notice me pipe and intake where under watere and just blew rhe motor up so yea do you think I will be able to fit on a 2 stroke 125 yea I saw a 125 honda in good shape for cheap if I can fit on that I would get it and buy parts to give it more kick

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Yes. :whoa:

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
you'll fit on it, it might seem a little tall and awkward at first but itll be something youll be less inclined to grow out of in the near future.

cmcgrogan

Sep 2, 2009
i found a 1990 cr125 and it has a lot of new parts and was just rebuilt 5 riding hours ago he also broke it in. how often do i need to rebuild and how hard is it to do

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
cmcgrogan said:
i found a 1990 cr125 and it has a lot of new parts and was just rebuilt 5 riding hours ago he also broke it in. how often do i need to rebuild and how hard is it to do

depends on your riding style as far as how often a rebuild is necessary and its quite easy to do if your somewhat mechanically inclined.

look up "2 stroke top end rebuild" on youtube and look for the video by rockymountainatv.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
You can plan on rebuilding a 125 about every 20-30 hours of ride time (40 at the most). There is really only one way to ride a 125 because they make peak power at around 11,000-12,000 rpm...that is why they wear so quickly. Im not saying a 125 is a bad idea, just keep these points in mind 1) you are going to spend money rebuilding it every so often 2) you can really get screwed buying a $1200 bike if you dont know what you are looking for. Learn what to look for or take someone who does. I know because I have made that mistake before.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I would assume that it is all in how you ride them. My neighbor has had his 95 CR250 for 8 years and never done anything to it. He used to ride every weekend, not race, but ride at the track.

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
cmcgrogan said:
do all 2 strokes need to be built in that much riding time and if so i will prob just a 4

yea generally all 2 strokes need to be built that much but its not that bad, i get my honda top end parts for $80 total and thats all do the work yourself, but 4 stroke bike repairs are going to cost A LOT more.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
A 250 will generally run longer than a 125 because they dont rev near as high. While people talk about 2 stroke MX bikes that run 15 years, it is not the norm. Of course, it depends on maintenance and how they are ridden. My point is that a 2 stroke is not a change the oil and ride it forever kind of bike. If that is what you want, buy a Honda XR...maybe an XR200. At your of height 5'4" the seat height will also be an issue on an motocross bike, it wont on the XR.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
It is true that a 4 stroke rebuild will cost more, but if you own an XR as I do, it will run forever if you perform proper maintenance. If you know what you are looking for when you buy the bike, you will get years of riding without a rebuild.

cmcgrogan

Sep 2, 2009
when you mean rebuild do you mean new piston and cylinder or just gaskets and if i was to get an older 2 stroke then i would prob do all the maintenance on the bike for it to last me and when i rebuild do i also change the oil and airfilter at the same time

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
You answered that you will be doing all of the work and maintenance yourself..are you sure about that? Your comments wouldnt lead me to believe you are ready to tackle a rebuild, even on a 2 stroke. A 2 stroke rebuild is fairly simple, but it may help to have some guidance. Do yourself a favor...buy an XR200 and ride it.

Apr 30, 2007
cmcgrogan said:
when you mean rebuild do you mean new piston and cylinder or just gaskets and if i was to get an older 2 stroke then i would prob do all the maintenance on the bike for it to last me and when i rebuild do i also change the oil and airfilter at the same time

You need to learn a little about maintaining bikes before you buy a 2-stroke. Or have someone help you learn the basics.

At the very least, do some research of your own before you spend the cash. And when you get the bike, BUY AN OWNER'S MANUAL!

It will tell you all the important things you need to know.

For starters, a general top end rebuild means you replace the piston, rings, gaskets, and some clips. While you do that, you inspect the cylinder for any damage. If you ride a 2-stroke quite often, and ride it hard, you can expect to replace a top end as often as every 6 months or more (Roughly 120 dollars).

Oil and airfilter - Depending on your riding conditions, you may need to clean and re-oil your airfilter every week, or every ride. Checking and changing the oil regularly is VERY important too. Check it once a week (or more) and change it as often as the manual says. If you're riding it harder, change it more often.

Top Bottom