lookin for a good bike to race...

Scrubby

Mar 20, 2005
Hey guys, Its time to get back into riding but instead of just going out and getting the YZ125 like i originally planned i thought i would ask for some other opinions... and im gonna try to keep it in the same format as the sticky:

1) I'm 18 yrs old, around 6'01'' and 175lbs
2) on a 1 - 10 scale of aggressiveness (10 being extremely aggressive) i would consider myself a 7 or 8
3) I plan on riding on some trails and woods but mainly local tracks... and i am making my own "homemade" track in a field behind the house so i'll be riding that a lot too
4) I have about 7 years of riding experience (with an old xr100 & 200) however none with a 2 stroke
5) i will most definately be racing once i get used to the bike
6) i will be doing all of my mechanical work myself unless there is some major mechanical problem
7) I am looking to buy a 2 stroke and i have always heard good things about yamahas so possibly a YZ
8) I'm willing to spend up to 3500, which i figure should be plenty of money to find a nice bike

I am also wondering what would be better a 125 or 250.. i want a bike i will be able to manuver really well and that will be aggressive on the track so if you can help me out i'd really appreciate it!!

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I would get a 250 if i was you. Too big really for a 125, you sound confident with your riding so try the 250....A TM or GasGas are great bike if you can find one. If you must be boring a yz250 with a fww would be great too

Scrubby

Mar 20, 2005
Thanks for the input guys! i was actually considering a 250 over a 125 but i was afraid that it would be a bit too much since i have no experience riding 2 strokes... since im just starting out with 2 strokes should i learn first on a 125 or go straight to the 250?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Scrubby said:
7) I am looking to buy a 2 stroke and i have always heard good things about yamahas so possibly a YZ

You answered your own question right there.

I'll give opposite advice and suggest that you get a 125. You have to work for your power on a 125. The other issue is confidence...if you are afraid of the bike (anyone stepping up from a play bike to a 250 SHOULD be afraid) it will make you slower. Since you haven't rode for a while, the 125 will be a lot more forgiving.

In the end you'll be a better rider having raced a 125 over a 250.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Look at Hondas as well. High quality fit and finish, and it can be made to run with anything.

Scrubby

Mar 20, 2005
sorry for double posting but the above response was referring to
CaptainObvious said:
In the end you'll be a better rider having raced a 125 over a 250.

..he is probably right because, although i consider myself to be pretty aggressive, i would probably tend to hold back quite a bit more on a 250

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
It's a big jump going to a race bike from an XR. Being aggressive on an XR200 is really easy as the power is super smooth and there's not much. I just picked up a GasGas EC200 with an XC ignition/flywheel installed so it is more like a motocross bike. This thing RIPS and will throw me off if I'm not careful with my throttle and clutch. Definitely go with the 125 and step up to a 250 after you've mastered the 125.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
I agree with CaptainObvious... I also ride a 125 and like you grew up on xr's with a big break inbetween were I was'nt riding... On the 125 you'll learn to go fast, faster... And they go plenty fast, I ride allot of desert and can keep up with everyone I ride with... I'm always the only 125 and I kind of like that underdog thing... I like going through gears, and up shifting out of turns, and all that... All that shifting and having to always be on the pipe is good practice for when your ready to really ride a 250 on the pipe and go as fast as you can... There is more to riding a 250 than just being able to ride a 250... Most people think if I can ride it and not die I'm ready for it... That's just is not true... Don't forget you can always sell the 125 after at least a season of riding, it won't be a waste...

Scrubby

Mar 20, 2005
Wow, thanks for all the responses guys! After some days of heavy debating I believe I will go with the 125...I'm sure CaptainObvious really knows what he is talking about so I believe it would be wise to take his advice. And like Dante said, I can always sell the 125 later and get a 250 when i'm ready for one.

I will more than likely be buying a used bike so what are some things that I can look for on a bike to ensure it has been taken care of well? Also any good questions that I could ask people to ensure that I am not getting something that is ragged out...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom