looking at a getting a dirt bike. 6'3" 220

mmnotch

Jul 4, 2008
1) your physical size 6' 3" 220
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? 6/10 not stupidly aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? MX tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience? rode MX track for 2 years on my friends CR125. i weighed between 165-180 at the time so it had enough power
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? very but don't want another project right now
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? only have experience with 2stroke but i might be interested in 4
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? any brands, and ill be doing my own work
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?1000-3500
10) Do you live in California? nope
11) Your age?23
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion.

just wanting to get back in to riding mx. wanting info on 2stroke vs 4stroke. i can repair almost anything but currently don't have a good place to work on it all the time like i use to. and what is the up keep cost on a bike. well thanks for any help

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I think your price range is going to dictate 2-stroke. I would recommend a 250cc, somehting like a YZ-250. You should be able to pick up something that isn't more than 5 years old.

As far as upkeep cost: A lot depends on how often you crash and break things verses just wearing them out. A MX bike should have its top end refreshed on a regular basis. This could be a gasket set and a set of rings, cost around $50. Every few top end refreshes you should replace the piston, which would cost another $75 or so.

If you wait until the engine blows/seizes then you could end up sleeving/boring/plating the cylinder and the cost will go way up.

This is essentially the same four stroke or two stroke. Two stroke is a lot easier so it will take less of your time or less labor charges if you have it done. Four strokes also have valves that need to be kept in adjustment and failure to do so can be detrimental to the health of the engine.

Rod

Top Bottom