profunctional

Apr 15, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

5'8" 155lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

almost aggressive

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

I want to start on trails but eventually move up to tracks.

4) Do you have any riding experience?

I have had a Ninja ZX900R, Ninja 600, GSXR 750 and R1 in that order.

5) Do you think you will race ?

When I am comfortable

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

Minor stuff like oil changes..yes, anything else major...no

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

Probably a 4 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

NA

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?

$10k

10) Do you live in California?

NO

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I am looking for a bike that I will be content with for a very long time. My biggest concern is getting into the hobby and then realizing that I bought needs to be upgraded. If you guys could have one bike for the type of profile I mentioned above, what would it be?

Thanks in advance!

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
elcamino12sec said:
Check out the crf450x or the new klx450. Lower maint than the motocross bikes and reliable. Will not need to upgrade with either bike.

IMHO, those 2 bikes are too big for him, but if he feels comfortable on one, then go for it. a 125 2-stroke would fit you as well, but it depends on how fast youre growing to determine how long youll keep a 125.

profunctional

Apr 15, 2007
I agree, the 450 might be too big. I was leaning towards a 125 2 stroke or a 250 4 stroke. I really want something that I can toss around comfortably. Right now, all I know of is teh yz 125. Is there a better recommendation for the 125 2stroke? What about a recommendation for the 250 4stroke?

TIA.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
profunctional said:
I agree, the 450 might be too big. I was leaning towards a 125 2 stroke or a 250 4 stroke. I really want something that I can toss around comfortably. Right now, all I know of is teh yz 125. Is there a better recommendation for the 125 2stroke? What about a recommendation for the 250 4stroke?

TIA.

if you want a bike that will last, a 250F is the opposite of what youre looking for, a 125 2T will last much longer.

the "Big 5"( Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and KTM) all still make 125's, they are: CR125, KX125, RM125, YZ125 and 125SX.

a 125SX is the speed demon of the bunch, but it doesnt have the best suspension setup and it weighs the most, also has a high price tag.

the YZ125 is the tallest stock dirt bike you can buy, so its a beast and it has good suspension and handling, along with great power, but its tall seat height doenst appeal to smaller riders( im 5'7'', so were both generally considered "small" for full-sized bikes in public), the price tag on the YZ also is generally high.

the CR125 has one of the weaker motors for the older( 200-2004) models, but it appeals to some. the suspension is good and has good ergonomics.

the KX125 has the most low-end of the 125's and its generally cheap with a softer suspension setup, a great woods 125 if thats what you want, but can be used effectively on tracks( i own one).

the RM125 has good mid-range power along with the same low seat height of the KX and CR, its got that Suzuki feel in the turns and has a soft suspension setup, usually runs cheap as well.

theres a very brief overview of all the 125 2-strokes, and i would recommend, since you have a limited budget and youre 5'8'', either a KX, RM, or YZ125. the YZ may not feel comfortable since its very tall, but youll only know once you sit on one. the KX and RM are great bikes for getting through turns and to have fun on, but they can both be pushed once you get serious, thats why i still have mine :nod: . the Kawasaki and Suzuki also usually run the cheapest of the 125's, so look around and ride a few.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom