Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I'm looking to buy a digital camera and would like some input. Ability to take good action shots is a must and I'd also like it to have a continous mode where you just hold and it'll take like 10 pics in just a few seconds. The only other thing I'd use it for is taking some pics for online auction things...generally not macro stuff. My dads got a few year old one and it's always lost, or in the truck, or being used, or....you get the point. What do you have and what do you like/dislike about it. I'm not looking to spend big $$, but don't want the el cheapo one either. Thanks :thumb:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I just picked up a Kodak DX4530 for $300 @ Circuit City,, Its 5.0 megapixels, has a fast shutter speed ( comparable too 800 film) We took some riding shots and the picture came out clear.. Im not sure about being able too fire off 10 pics in a few seconds though.. I ended up buying a 256mb memory card and some re-chargeable batteries came out too a little over $400,, Plus if you buy online from circuit city, you receive a 10% rebate gift card :thumb:

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I bought a kodak DX3500 a little over 2 years ago. Prices had started to drop (the case in most electronics) and I paid 200 dollars for it. It was a good deal at the time and I had really been wanting a digital cam for awhile.

I've taken over 2000 pictures with it since then, a lot of them really came out nice and I'm glad I bought it. I never would have taken so many good pics without it.

Today you can get a lot more camara for 200 bucks.

Some of it's shortcomings:
2.2 magapixel is good for 4x6 prints IF you don't have to crop, in otherwords I have to compose the picture well when I shoot.

3 x's digital zoom on a 2.2 megapixel is worthless. Optical zoom would be fine.

No exposure setting. It takes mostly nice pics in natural light, indoors the flash doesn't cut it and editing to brighten it up always sacrifices quality.

It does take decent action shots overall.

Get as much resolution as you can afford. I'm not complaining about my camara, it serves me well. You should be able to get something that will suit your needs for 300 or less.

Hopefully someone else that just bought something new will post and tell you he got something great, dirt cheap.

GoodLuck Moto Squid,

Joe Chief

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Kodak here as well, two in fact. Get the docking station and rechargable battery pack. Will save you a few bucks on batts and makes uploading pics a breeze. Check out there website. They've got good deals on factory refurbs that come with the same warranty. Bought my 2nd cam for 1/2 price that way. I've got around 4000+ shots with the two combined and no complaints.

Oh, screw digital zoom, go for optical.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I've got an Olympus C3000. The lens is good quality so the pics are sharp, but the color reproduction leaves something to be desired. Vibrant, bright colors come out a bit dull.

I did spring for a 128 memory card. I can hold over 1500 low res photos or 30 some 3MP TIFF files. It also has and AVI mode that is kinda neat. It takes 30 second video clips.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
On the cheap end of the scale, I got a Concord EYEQ Duo 2000 rom Walmart, $100
2 megapixel
Takes AVI video, a bit grainy
With a 64mb card, it takes 85 pix at largest size, highest quality, or about 5 minutes video. You can also run it direct into the video jack of your TV/VCR and show the pix.
And it will work as a webcam on Microsoft NetMeeting

It takes a picture with enough quality that I was able to use shots to make a TV commercial for my business. Not a bad write-off!!!

Robert

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
If I had the cash, I would have bought some pro gear!
But if the commercial generates income, who knows, might have to start producing commercials!

Robert

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The only cameras that have good continuous drive are REALLY EXPENSIVE. About the cheapest camera will take really good shots and has decent continuous shooting abilities is the Canon EOS Digital Rebel (SLR camera) that is $900 without lens or $1000 with an 18-55mm lens. Canon has some new cameras coming out that should be decent for action and reasonably priced. Check out www.steves-digicams.com, he has awesome reviews plus a good forum. Feel free to email me if you have any questions, my email is speedymaniac@hotmail.com. Oh yeah, what is the maximum price you are willing to spend, and to what size would be the maximum you want to make your prints? I have a Canon Powershot G3 (4 megapixels) that I can make really good 8x10 prints from. Also, remember that as well as a camera, you will need to buy a bigger memory card (atleast 128MB, preferably more), spare batteries, possibly a charger, etc.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I have been very impressed with my Cannon S5, 5megapixel, small size, can take continued shots, and avi files.

The only drawback I can see so far is the proprietary battery, but the camera came with 2.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom