Looking for a good bike for mainly technical woods riding.

okcommuter

Jan 9, 2006
I've just recently gotten into the dirt scene but have been riding on the street for a few years now and have racked up some serious mileage on my SV650.

I've been riding my dad's TTR250 on the trails around southern Oklahoma and it looks like most of my riding is going to be done in technical woods and rocky hill climbing rather than on groomed MX courses. I'm getting the techniques down and learn a lot every time I ride (like how not to loop it or to come down too hard on the front when coming out of a gulley or canyon, the latter I learned the hard way as it s quite difficult to maintain a wheelie on that TTR with the lack of grunt that it has).

I'm a little heavy right now and I'm not the tallest either, at 5'10" and 230lbs and 26 years old.

I started out thinking I wanted a 450 four stroke because I thought I needed a lot more power than what that TTR250 has, well now that I've ridden more, I'm not so sure that I need a TON more power, but I'd definitely like to have a significant hunk more.

That's why I'm really beginning to lean towards a WR250 or a CRF250X. However, I'm not totally convinced that I won't be dissapointed with the power of either and might want to go for their respective 450 models. Also, you'd really have to do some major convincing to make me choose the red one over the blue one (being a huge roadbike racing fan of zooks and yammies, honda leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and the bike would have to be significantly better to justify the scorn that I would receive from my fellow race-fan buddies if I brought home anything with wings on it).

I think I've changed my mind everyday for the past month on what I wanted...first it was a RM-Z450, then a YZ450F, then a WR450, then a DR-Z400E, and now I think It may be the WR250 or CRF250X that gets my vote (but like I said, would my weight make it not feel powerful enough? But would it feel just underpowered enough at my weight that when I get down to my normal weight of 200 that I was until this past year and a half and then it would be perfect?).

Argh! This is even more nerveracking than trying to decide on my next road bike...My list of possible candidates in that one is rediculous!

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
I have a CRF250X, 05. I am 6'4", and tip the scales at 265. The "X" does a great job with my considerable arse on it. It has plenty of power for your size. A 450 is a HUGE step up from a TTR250!
From what I have heard and read the X outshines the WR in most catagories. The only thing I have had to do to my bike is change the susp springs to match my wt. The bike has been perfect otherwise.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I have a KDX200 so I'm going out on a limb here based on what I've read and ridden...

Sounds like you like the power delivery of a 4T, so that argument is resolved (for now). My experience is that rocky trails lend themselves to a 4T anyway. Tight technical trails don't lend themselves to a 450; people will argue that point, but my suspicion is that a 250 4T is what you want. While the WR is a great bike, I have not heard a single bad comment about the CRF250X. It is already set up for trails (E-start, kick stand, lights, gearing & suspension) and can be raced or ridden just for fun. It will only require suspension mods for your weight and there are TONS of aftermarket hopups if you absolutely must have more power.

I rode a CRF450R and was flat out intimidated by its power, and my KDX200 is a lot more powerful than your TTR, so I suggest you hold off on the big thumpers for now anyway.

If you are REALLY concerned that the 250X will be too weak, (1) re-read ChopperDave's post above, (2) go ride someone's 450 4T before you take the plunge, and (3) consider a KTM 400 XC or EXC (4T) as a compromise between the two displacements. Any of these bikes will be an improvement over what you have now.

cainzel

Dec 27, 2005
okcommuter

i just read youre post .i just wanted to drop u aline .i myself ride a 1998 RMX 250 .its got a after market .shock but its plenty of bike.im 6foot7 286 pounds .it hasnt let me down yet . in all aspects .very good . id go for the zooky . good luck on youre choice . :aj:

dez nut

Oct 9, 2005
Bike for tight, technical trails

First of all, I'd recommend against any of the 450's. For tight trails work they will feel heavy, clumsy and the power will be a handful. Either of the 250 four strokes (CRX, WR, etc.) would be a better choice. Lighter, more nimble and the power will be much more manageable, but will still be leaps and bounds better than your TTR. If you are interested in more "serious" trail work, forget the 4 strokers altogether and take a good look at the KTM 250 or 300's. They are set up for woods/trail work right out of the box. Good power but smooth enough for the tight stuff. The 300 will chug through the tough stuff like a tractor and it still flies through the smoother stuff. The suspension on the KTM's is set up soft which also works great in the woods. There are many better choices for the MX track but the KTM's rule the woods. :nod:

Jul 25, 2005
yeah i agree a woods 2 stroke is what you need. kdx200/220 or a ktm 250 or a ktm 300. my 220 has gone up the nastiest and crapiest trail there is to imagine and going up a mountain on a 2 stroke with manageable power and a sheer 2000 foot drop off to your left is not a fun thing on a mx 2 stroke. what i am saying is that the woods 2 strokes are low maintenance, a ton of power, and are just more fun than the four strokes. nothing against 4t but they have less power and more maintenance. long live the 2 strokes.!!!!! ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…