Darkkoresh88

Apr 19, 2006
What Bike???

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1) im 14, i think im 5,5 and about 125 pounds
2) I'll get more aggresive the more i ride i guess
3)I live on an acreage in the praries, so ill cruise up and down pretty big hills. ill be doin a lot of trail riding to. theres a mx track in town, so ill bring it there once in a while.
4) i used to ride when i was about 9 or 10 but i outgrew my dirtbike and didn't get a new one
5)race my freinds, maybe cruise around the track in town
6) my dad and my uncle are mechanics, they would be willing to fix it.
7) four-stroke (maybe two-stroke), so far ive been looking at tt-r's and dr-z's
8)well we are going to pick it up in a city
9) around $2500-3000, (willing to go a bit higher)

btw- i want i bike thats good enough so i won't get bored of it to fast, and i want one that wont bottom out off junmps
thanks

Last edited:

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
If you can find an XR200 that'd be better, but they're kinda hard to find. Those are great bikes though, good power for a begginer, and ultra reliable and low maintainence.

Darkkoresh88

Apr 19, 2006
btw, i want a bike that i can get used to riding again, but has enough power so i wont get bored of it right away.
im looking at spending around $3000

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Everyday I see more and more posts of this type
I am X years old and want a dirtbike what do you think I should look for?
As glad as I am that you value forum members opinions I wish you would include more info so they can give you an opinion instead of putting up this answer We need more info to help

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

This info won't guarentee a perfect bike choice but it will sure stear the answers you get closer to the ideal bike.

Colpitts230

Apr 24, 2006
the TT-R 230 is a nice bike. I own one and i really like it. I am 14 and 5'9" and im about 140 pounds. i can handle this bike really good and it fits me perfectly. I havent had any major problems with it ethier. its a good bike.

Colpitts230

Apr 24, 2006
It does not do to badly on hills. I live in NB and around here its a prefect bike to have. the only problem i have had on hills is usually my error.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I learned to ride on an XR100R then moved up to a XR200R. When I was on little four-strokes I thought they made plenty of power and would climb fine. Then I got my GasGas. Hills that I thought were impossible on my XR are easy now. XR/CRF-F/TTR bikes are good bikes to learn on but can't even compare to a competition bike, or even a fullsize trail bike like a KDX. Where in Canada are you?

Darkkoresh88

Apr 19, 2006
i live in northern ontario, but i'm not getting it till this summer when we move to southwest saskatchewan (swift current)
so its alot of prarie so theres lots of hills and stuff
i just wanna know what kind of bike i should be looking for

Darkkoresh88

Apr 19, 2006
should i look at two-strokes or four-strokes
becuase from what plp are saying, any fourstroke bike under 200 arent very powerful and i need one that can climb hills, i cant be pushing it up hills half the time
remember im looking at spending $3000 or less

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
A used KDX200 would suit you just fine. You should be able to find a mid 90's model (try for 1995 or newer) in your price range in good shape. These bikes are very reliable yet still perform well.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Well, the KDX200 isn't a great jumper, but it is a lot better than any of the playbikes (TTR, CRF-F, DRZ, etc). Try www.kbb.com to find an approximate price. It depends a lot of condition of the bike for price.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Do you know how to work a clutch? You can learn on a KX100 but it is a motocross bike that makes peakier power. If you take it easy at first you should be fine. I thought you said you used to ride a few years ago? The KDX200 weighs more than the KX100 but it makes smoother power. Honestly if you are just learning to ride then a trail four-stroke may work well. One thing to remember is the KX100 is around 160-170lbs while the KDX200, CRF230F and TTR230 weigh around 240lbs. It makes a big difference. For the riding you say you want to do, a KX100 is the perfect choice for your size, but if you're just learning to ride then the KX could be a little much. You might also find at 5'5", 125lbs that the KDX200 and TTR230 are a little heavy for you. I suggest getting a test ride to see.

Darkkoresh88

Apr 19, 2006
well my brother and i shared a 70 wen i was little, but i dint get to ride it much
yeah i know how to use a clutch and all that, i guess i should test it. what year kx100 do you think i could get with around $2500?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom