mdavidso

Apr 28, 2009
1) your physical size? 5'10, 135 pounds in gear
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? moderate
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? mx, woods, in hills behind quad
4) Do you have any riding experience? been riding for 7 years, owned a few bikes, mainly a 2003 ktm sx 125
5) Do you think you will race ? most likely on a restricted budget level
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes, and enjoy to work on my own toys, if not, dealer is 20 miles away
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? wanting a newer 2 or 4 stroker
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? have many dealers, Honda, KTM, Suzuki, Yamaha
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? looking for under $3000
10) Do you live in California? no, middle of Michigan(literally)
11) Your age? 16
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion? I have been riding my 125, and I have just been wanting a little more power, I was riding up a sand hill and I just couldn't make it up, and I must say I was pi**ed off, because my buddy on his ltz400 was watchin from the top. I have also riden my fathers 1992 kawasaki Kx500 and I DO NOT want to take that anywhere near any hills, I couln't keep the wheel down even in 5'th gear on flat ground. :yikes:

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Good call on not riding the KX500 up hills...there are many people on this forum older than you are, with less experience that cannot figure that out. With $3K to invest, that opens up your options somewhat. I would probably go with a 250 2 stroke. If you want to try a 4 stroke, keep in mind that the new generation 4 strokes are high maintenance.

mdavidso

Apr 28, 2009
jb_dallas said:
Good call on not riding the KX500 up hills...there are many people on this forum older than you are, with less experience that cannot figure that out. With $3K to invest, that opens up your options somewhat. I would probably go with a 250 2 stroke. If you want to try a 4 stroke, keep in mind that the new generation 4 strokes are high maintenance.
Yeah I know about the high maintenaince, I've been doing the work on my own bike for 2 years now, and I just like to know that its done right, and knowing that it wont fall apart, makes me feel safe.
Also, Im looking to get a bike that wont be blowing up just from regular easy riding, I know that my 2 stroker is going to need a rebuild this winter, and I'm getting low on cash.
I've also had my fair share of 4 strokers too, my old 1986 XR200r still on the original build, and still running strong!

Top Bottom