SoCalMike

Jan 13, 2006
Ok, so after reading the sticky, here ya go.

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
-I'm about 5'8, 135 on any given day.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
-On a bike, VERY.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
-Mostly dirt and sand. San Diego has dunes and dirt a plenty. Perhaps a track, but the Desert will be primary.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
-Little dirt bike experience a few years ago, on 125, and 250 2 strokes. About a year on the street and track on my GSXR.

5) Do you think you will race ?
-Not on the dirt.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
-Will do the cheap easy stuff. Not down for much hardcore wrenchin though.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
-No real preference to brand. Kind of preferential to 4 strokes because i don't want a red sticker bike, and looking for a good bit of power for the dunes.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
-Plenty of dealers, all brands, no prob here.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
-Lookin for a used bike. Probably in the neighborhood of a couple grand.

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
-Again, just looking for a solid used bike. It would be cool to get one with a head light so I can head out to the hill at night also, but its not really a priority. Need something that can accomadate paddles and will be a solid first bike.

Hope thats enough info. looking forward to opinions.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Consider this. A used modern 4 stroke for "a couple of grand" most likely will need some expensive repairs sooner rather than later. Current racing 4 strokes are very high performance which equals high stress on the parts. The parts are designed to be as light as possible so they won't last as long as something built for durability with less regard for weight. In my book unless the bike has impecable records or maintenance with a competent owner or mechanic it might be worth your time to spend more up front.

SoCalMike

Jan 13, 2006
Ok, well what would be a good choice for durability? I'm not looking to race it at all. Just fart around and have fun in the dunes. Don't need all the light weight race parts, especially since I'll most likely end up racing on the street bike instead.

SoCalMike

Jan 13, 2006
May just be a California thing, but ya has to do with emissions on 2 stroke bikes. You can only run them in the winter i believe. Don't quote me on that as I'm just getting into this. I'm sure the CA state BLM or DMV could offer more info.

Top Bottom