t84a

Oct 25, 2010
I took my son to take the MSF dirt bike class over the weekend and we want to pick up a couple of bikes. I rode as a kid (30 some years ago) and have been riding street bikes all my life. I have two now. My son and I have been 4 wheeling for the past 3 years or so as well. So....

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) son: 5-6, 135; me: 5-10, 170
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Both of us are pretty much starting out so not real aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Basic tracks and public atv type trails
4) Do you have any riding experience? son: only minibikes and 4 wheelers; me: dirt bikes many years ago; street bikes yes including current
5) Do you think you will race ? No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Very little
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I have 2 dealers that combined carry Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and KTM.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? about $6k for both
10) Do you live in California? No
11) Your age? son: 15; me: 51

Right now Honda is offering cash back on many models. My initial considerations are with the CRF 150F and the CRF 230F, primarily because these were the bikes we rode in the class.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like a couple of CRF / XR250's or KDX200's would fit the bill quite nicely.

The CRF (new name) aka XR250 is a oil & air cooled, low maintenance easy to service 4 stroke with Honda build quality. These bikes are VERY popular for running around in the outback / bush in Australia to this day because there is little to break. There are gobs of performance potential in them that doesn't take loads of bucks.

The KDX is the Kawasaki version of the XR250 except it's 2 stroke and has radiators since it's water cooled. Again a very solid bike with good support and not a huge level of required maintenance.

Both of these bikes should be in the relm of fitting both you and your son (he might be a little tippy toe on the KDX but that can be addressed). The great advantage of having two of a kind is easy maintenance and no need to carry a bunch of different parts. I have ridden both of these bikes and chose the XR250 because it fit what I wanted best. For the long version of why ---> http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=107809&highlight=forward+motion

The CRF150F is a great little bike but I bet your son would outgrow it pretty quick. Having had a boy that rides I always went a little big because the bike always was a little small in a short amount of time. The CRF230 for you would be a bit small and undersuspended IMO. Again this is a bike I have ridden and it's a fun toy but I'd not pick one as my main ride because it would see it's limits very quickly even with my modest skill.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
OK so I embellished a bit, it's not like I can't generally stay upright. :)

Top Bottom