looking for different bike - upgrading

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
950 Super Enduro. That'll get ya thru the whoops in a hurry!
950superenduro_07.jpg

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
There are guys extremely competitive on everything from a YZ-125 to a 450 XCW... and most everything in between.

The best bike for you will depend on your riding style, the type of terrain you ride, and budget.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The Honda XRs are very reliable bikes, but not intended to race enduros. Everyone is expecting me to say that KTMs are the only way to go, but I realize that a Kawasaki KDX can be a good enduro bike. If you want to stay with a four stroke, you must have the button and Yamaha makes a number of bikes with lights.
I have ridden KTMs for a number of years - their motto is "Race Ready". Good luck!

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
"Race Ready" Now that's funny! Check this KTM Talk moderator Guru's thread out! LMAWTFO
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=249989

I'm wondering :think: Is this guy gonna consummate a marriage with the damn thing or ride it?..... :rotfl:

I agree with Tbone, there are other good choices on the market other than orange.

Kzoo

Mar 26, 2004
I feel I am an ok rider but need more experience in those little darn trees. Right now I am run second or first in my class. The XR is smoking a little bit, so its a bore and rebuild or upgrade. I have had good like with XRs. I would like to stay with a 4 stoke.
Things are ok with the bike but thats all I know is the XR ride.

bucky63

Apr 11, 2007
Jumping to a 2st would not be a problem. The biggest change would be the better suspension allowing you to go faster in the bumps. Plus, even a 200 2st has some nice low end torque and grunt compared to your XR. Depending on your size a 200 2st should be your next choice (I'm 210 to 215 pounds before gear and ride a 200). I can't believe how nice my '02 EXC 200 is compared to the bikes I rode in the 70's, 80's and 90's. You should be able to find a nice used 200 for $2000 to $3000. Any year 250 4st would cost you more then the same year 200 and the cost to rebuild it is higher but you get the "button". Good luck in finding your next bike!

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Wolverine423 said:
"Race Ready" Now that's funny! Check this KTM Talk moderator Guru's thread out! LMAWTFO
I'm wondering :think: Is this guy gonna consummate a marriage with the damn thing or ride it?..... :rotfl:
Am I the only one that finds this amusing coming from the bling master? :whoa:

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Hey Silver(Mike)...........How is the hand?

I too agree, lots of good bikes out there.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Just about anything this decade is going to be worlds better than a 20 year old XR. Great trail-bike, but no speedster. A newer KDX would still be a huge improvement if you are on a tight budget. If you like 4Ts a 250 will work or you could get a 450 if you want more guts. If it's a KTM 250 4T get an 07 or newer since the old RFS 250 was a heavy pig imo. Nice KTMs can be found a few years old for very reasonable. If you find a MX bike you can rig up 9V headlight and tailight or bicycle tail-light pretty easy and cheap to pass enduro tech inspection.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Hey Silver (other Mike) - glad the wrist is OK. I saw Rick H and family at Upland - they asked if I knew what was up - then all I new was you had an appointment with the orthopod.

Back to the original posters question - like others have said - anything newer, say 95 and up? would likely be better than your trusty old XR (other than another newer XR that is - they never changed a lot) - and you can find some great deals ($2500 and under, even around $1500 you can find some good stuff) if you shop around. In KTMs in a lower price range, shoot for 2000 and newer if possible. As F&S said, the KDX can be a super pick as well. My son has one - works super for him (though I do hope to move him up to a KTM sometime) - fun bike to ride, and with a bit of tweeking, can be set up rather well (Fredette racing is a great source of info, parts etc.). Dont dismiss a 200 as to small - power wise it would be way stronger than a XR250, and have better boingers. A KTM 200 is stronger yet motor and suspension wise. Ignore Gas Gas Man (silver) - he just likes being odd :nener: Though...his Gasser is one sweet bike to ride - take a look on page 84 of the November issue of Dirt Bike Magazine - that is his actual bike (he can only dream that was actually him on it in that picture though!) If he knows of another 07 for sale...I suspect it might be an outstanding deal...

If you only plan to race FES events, you wont need a headlight and taillight or plate. The AMA events you will need lights, plates etc for most (some dont require them though). If no light needed, a lot of MX bikes are options, but suspension wise and motor wise are not as well suited to offroad use (stock that is...they can be modified).

Good luck in your quest for a bike...and have fun!

Kzoo

Mar 26, 2004
After talking to a couple of people. I think I am going to look for something that is set up for woods. Mainly the transmission, looking to not shift as much, should save time in the race. I think the KTM has the W series, what is it called in the old years/series? What are some bikes that are set up for woods riding?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Older model KTMs you want to look at the EXC versions....like maybe an '04 EXC....like maybe a '04 450 EXC??
I will make a really good deal to a FES class champion who is looking to make an improvement (and maybe a jump to Sunday). Let's talk!
Kzoo had the lowest score at Upland this past weekend, but they did not give a grand champion award.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
fatherandson said:
Older model KTMs you want to look at the EXC versions....like maybe an '04 EXC....like maybe a '04 450 EXC??
I will make a really good deal to a FES class champion who is looking to make an improvement (and maybe a jump to Sunday). Let's talk!

Or if you'd like something newer (and probably a bit more expensive) maybe my 07 KTM 250XCF-W would be more to your liking (never ever raced, only trail ridden by an old man on every other weekend at most since I have 2 dirt bikes). I was planning to wait til spring to sell but might be talked into it now.

sorry fatherandson - not trying to take your sale away.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Kzoo - If you're going to TrailFest, you can take a spin on my '04 200 EXC (NOT FOR SALE) to see what type of bike you'd like.... It's light, flickable, responsive, and nothing quite slithers through the the tight stuff like a 2-hundy (but it doesn't like plowing through those soft, high-speed Indiana corn fields!)...

Last edited:

countryboy30

Oct 22, 2007
Kdx 220r

I have been Riding a Kawasaki 220 R and it is a great bike and it can be made extremely fast. i have new spoket dunlop tires a gnarly rev pipe turbine core 2 silencer boyesen power reeds power bomb headers a high preformance carb and alot more it tops out at about 80 mph extremely fast and alot of fun i strongly recomend this bike

Kzoo

Mar 26, 2004
Looking to upgrade bikes??

I run the FES Enduro series and am looking to upgrade bikes. What do you guys think. I would like a 4 stroke, good tranny and good in th woods.

Thinking
WR250
CRF250X
KX250F

Kzoo

Mar 26, 2004
Smit Dog, I will not be at the TrailFest. I have a fishing tournament. I would like to take you up on your offer sometime. Is that a 4 stoke or 2 stoke? I would say your bike should run the same top speed as my bike.

fastrider11

Sep 2, 2007
What i think.

I would go with the 450 woods bike. Im 14 years old and i ride a yz250f and a rm250. I race Hare scrambles but I tryed racing the 250f and i immedietly quit racing it after that race. You cant beat a 2 stroke in the woods.250 2 strokes are good in the woods. Ive talked to some guys that have 200 and 300 ktm xc-w. From what ive heard there the best woods bike there is you can lug them around like a tractor. My friend Mickey is 44 years old and he gets podium all the time. :cool: :ride:

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
My 200 can't even maintain 24mph at enduros, but that could be the rider. :)
Maybe you should check out an ATK 700 if you want to go fast.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2006
Rider skill will make or break you regardless of 4-stroke or 2-stroke. I do perfer to ride 2-strokes in the woods but it all comes down to rider skill level. From your list the WR250F and the CRF250X would be great bikes. Elec. start can be a plus during a race.

Top Bottom