Looking for engine ideas and capabillities...

makenzie71

Mar 3, 2007
I'm taking on an interesting project...I'm wanting to pick up a Phoenix (look up "phonix ninja" on **** under completed listings) and pull that dinky 125 out and slap in a 2-stroke mx engine. I've been leaning toward either a CR500 or a CR250, but I'm eager to hear of other engines along those lines...or just interesting lines in general...that might suit as well. Room really isn't an issue but the engine has to be reletively light. I'm trying to keep this bike's dry weight under 250lbs.

The reason I'm looking at the CR250 and CR500 engiens, obviously, is power. The 250 cranks 59hp according to several sources. The 500 cranks 65. Not a lot of difference between them in power and the 250 is lighter...and cheaper...so that's my most likely route at the moment. What kind of power could I expect from either of these motors with "simple" modification? Stuff like exhaust and filter and carb work. My knowledge on internal 2-stroke modification is limited so I'm looking for bolt-on performance mostly.

Insight is graciously appreciated!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The idea that you are trying to wedge a high powered MX engine in a POS Chinese scooter chassis might have dissuaded people from commenting in the hopes you would come to your senses. The idea that you don't think a CR250 or CR500 would be powerful enough stock to fold the chassis up and want to know how to make more power just takes the whole thread from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Either way good luck with your project and if you really are serious about a high powered stator Baja Designs has a 180w version for the CR250 & the 500.

Top Bottom