Looking to get a bike in the next couple months

js3350z

Dec 3, 2003
Whats goin on guys...

1) your physical size? 5'8" 175
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? pretty aggressive riding
3) what do you plan to ride? woods / tight, rocky, hilly trails
4) Do you have any riding experience? dirtbike (ttr125) 5 years, quad (400ex) 3 years, streetbike (r6) 1 year
5) Do you think you will race ? No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes, own work
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 2 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? KTM, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 4-6 grand depending how well the winter goes (plowing)
10) Do you live in California? NO
11) Your age? 18
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I want something quick, light, good suspension, preferably no e-start, something to keep me sane when it is to cold or wet for the R6 :(

thanks

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
i'm alittle bias towards honda so i would say get a CR250 and ride on!! :ride:

but its really up to you for brand preference, its mainly pick a color you like but i would stick with a 250 for now if you want a 2-stroke. thats got plenty of go but can still be controlled. i know KTM has some pretty awesome woods/trail bikes that are 2 smokers. good luck and have fun. :)

Jan 3, 2007
I would go with these bikes for your ridding.

KTM 200XC-(W)
KTM 250XC-(W)
KTM 300XC-W
Gasgas 200EC
Gasgas 250EC
Gasgas 300EC
TM 300EN
TM250EN
Husqvarna WR250
Yamaha YZ250
Suzuki RM250

All are great trail bikes ( YZ and RM need some tunning but otherwise good) that are good for what you said. Depending on what kind of power you want the 300s are good for bigger ridders that like to lug and chug their bikes with great bottom end power and torque, the 250S are great for a more power happy rider that like to ride in the power more but still like to have some meat in the bottom end ( comming form a R6 you would like this probably), the 200s are super light and very fun to ride. They make good amount of bottom end power with lots on top. You just need to do your homework and decide on one that suties you best and your price range.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Tight ROCKY trails? Take a good hard look at a GasGas 250. Very good bikes, especially in the rocks. My second choice would be a YZ250 setup for the woods.

Could also consider a KTM250XCW or 250XC, but the suspension isn't nearly as good as the Gasser's.

js3350z

Dec 3, 2003
sounds good, I was lookin abt the ktmXC line (250) probably but they are pretty hard to find around here and expensive...whereas On ebay brand new yz250 $4999

What would be good for the yz in the woods, been reading on this site suspension (does that mean adjusting or rebuilding?)

I guess it will pretty much come down to what is around in a couple months once I get some more money...

I just have to decide whether or not to sell my 400ex to get a bike

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom