DougTx

~SPONSOR~
Oct 5, 2008
Hey,

I am 38 and looking to get back into dirt riding again after riding a lot in my teens but not since then.

I checked the help you help me forum so here is the information if you would kind enough to offer advice.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) - I am 6'1" and weight 255
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? I would say mild to mid. I want to have fun but am not looking to race or kill myself but would like to ride local parks, jump a little when opportunity presents and have a good time.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Local Pakrs like Trophy Club (Marshall Creek), Munster,Tx area (Red River) north Texas local trail and field/park riding.
4) Do you have any riding experience? I rode XR100 and XR 200 for a bout 5-6 years in my my teens.
5) Do you think you will race ? I will not
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I will basic maint. nad fix some items... I am not sure about a teardown/rebuild...depends on how much bike is worth but I built / maintained my own racecar so I at least kinda know what I am doing with a wrench and handtools.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I rode Honda, I liked its solid ride and durability. I am open minded on 2 vs 4 stroke but have only ridden mostly 4 stroke in past.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I live in Dallas, Tx so there and many dealers of all brands withing 10 miles or less of me.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? I would like to spend around $1500 idealy, but if buying something worth riding means a little more money I would spend it. (think $2k ish max)
10) Do you live in California? No, Texas
11) Your age? 38
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion - Just want to ride with my brother and have a good time. I am realistic that I will never be a MX superstar but still want to get dirty and have a good time.

Thanks in advance...

Doug

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
find an XR400 and you won't be disappointed. Yeah, it's a little heavy, but it's loads of fun and with just a little general maintenance it'll last forever.

DougTx

~SPONSOR~
Oct 5, 2008
Ok so I rode an XR400 and like it

I have some questions XR folks...

Ok I rode a 1996 XR400. It is in pretty decent shape. It started easily and ran well through all the gears both directions including skips between multiple gears. Some questions I have are:

1. When I hit the front brake the front end dives down quite a bit - Owner says he has never done anything to it since owning but I am wondering that since I am 255 lbs and he is about a buck-60 that maybe it is sprung to lightly? I pulled the boots back and the pistons where clean and there was no oil anywhere to be seen. Thoughts? If it is springs what kind of $ are we talking about and are they hard to change?

2. The rear brake is very hard, does not travel much down when pushed and barely grips. I am thinking the Master Cyl might be siezed? Maybe a rebuild? Is this fatal or worst case is this no big deal?

Anyway it seems a decent bike that started fairly easily from cold and took a minute to warm up to run without bogging but to my memory my old XR's were kinda cold natured like that also

Is there any reason to avoid a 96 or something else I should be thinking of? It is pretty close to my price range.

Thanks for all the help...

Doug

DougTx

~SPONSOR~
Oct 5, 2008
Hey guys,

Bought a 2002 XR400R today. For what it would have cost to get the 96 into shape, I bought a 2002 with a full set of gear,boots,etc that all fit me. I am really happy. Just needs a new chain and I am doing that this afternoon (the old one is stiff and had a lot of side play).

Thanks again,

Doug in Texas

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
you'll love it.

Sometimes I wish I still had mine, since the kid is purtnear big enough for it. I think by 02 they ought to have had all the carb hiccups worked out of it.

enjoy.

DougTx

~SPONSOR~
Oct 5, 2008
02 Carb kinks

Yeah funny you mention that. I got the factory carb also in a sealed bag, but he switched to a Mikuni carb that he had read about on XR's only. When I got to the bike it had been sitting for three weeks and was cold to the touch even right at the head.

Pulled out the choke, tapped the throttle twice gently (just a tiny tap) and it fired on the first kick. He mentioned that the new carb has made a huge difference in the starting and running of the bike. I rode it and it really ran well. White Bro's exhaust sounds great, I have a Supertrapp that he also had that he put about 3-4 rides through (he seems to have bought a lot of toys for it).

Anyway, it sure started easier than I remember my old XR's starting.

Doug in Texas

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom