Lose spokes?

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
How do I tighten my spokes? I noticed yesterday after I pulled my bike off the trailer that a few of the rear spokes are lose and the wheel isnt completely solid. Kinda has a little play when you jar the back tire around.

psalm3124

Apr 21, 2005
you can get a spoke wrench at the shop. my bikes came with them. others here can give more insight on how tight to tighten them...

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
psalm3124 said:
you can get a spoke wrench at the shop. my bikes came with them. others here can give more insight on how tight to tighten them...

Well i can just use a small wrench to tighten them right? Question is how tight are they supposed to be and do i just go around and tighten all of them a little until the whole wheel is solid?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It is a simple matter of turning the little nut to tighten the spokes.

Unfortunately, it is an art to get the spokes tightened in a manner that the wheel will run true and be centered.

Imagin this: If you loosened all the spokes on one side of the wheel, and then tightended them the same amount on the opposite side of the wheel, the spokes will be tight but the rim won't be centered and it will hop up and down as it rotates.

Similarly, if you loosen the spokes on the left side and tightened them on the right then a portion of the wheel will lean to the right and will wobble badly as you go down the road.

Getting the wheel centered and straight is simply a matter of adjusting the spokes. But then, painting a masterpiece is simply a matter of putting a little paint on the paintbrush and stroking it on the canvas.

You can try to tighten them down, but spin the wheel and watch it closely. If it wobbles or does anything you think a wheel shouldn't take the wheel to someone who knows what they are doing.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006

This is exactly what i was thinking. I noticed that they were all somewhat lose last night but While i started to tighten one side, i was thikning that i'm pulling it tighter over here but I'm really just off setting it to one side. I'll have to see if i can tighten a few and spin it. tighten a few on the other side and just go around and randomly tighten them while spinning the wheels every few spokes. If not, i'll give my buddy a call who works on bikes at a local dealer.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Tighten every fourth spoke.

Start at the valve stem. Put a piece of tape or ink mark on the rim at the valve stem as a starting point. Start with the spoke closest to the valve stem and give it a couple turns.

Then, skip 3 spokes and tighten the fourth spoke and repeat until you are back to the valve stem. You will notice that every fourth spoke points at the same angle. Then go to the next spoke on the other side of the wheel and do the process again. Then go to the next spoke back on the original side of the wheel and tighten every fourth one a couple turns. Then back to the other side of the wheel and tighten every fourth one until you are back to the valve stem.

Repeat the process several times tightening each spoke only a couple turns at a time. After a while the whole wheel will be tight. When the wheel is tight the spokes should ring. Take your spoke wrench and tap the spokes. The one's that are tight will have a high pitched ring to them and the loose one's will go thud.

From there you can fine tune the rim by using a pointer on one side of the rim or a dial indicator and tightening or loosening the spokes accordingly.

Using the every fourth spoke method keeps the rim from being pulled out of true.

Just my $ .02

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
So you want to tighten spokes... eh?

Like olderthandirt said, it isn't easy. Matter of fact, it's probably the single most complicated/tedious operation you can perform re motorcycle maintenance/repair IMO. (Well, I forgot how frustrating and time consuming carb jetting can be on some bikes)

Better go here and read this first:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/nov00rsWheelTruing.html

If you can get through the article without getting a headache, you've got a shot. Good luck.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006

This sounds like a good meathod. I'll give it a shot tonight! :cool:

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006

i kinda skimmed over the article and it's pretty similar to what 'Ol89r said from the little that i did read. I'll try his method and see how it goes. If that doesnt work. I'll get my friend to do it for me because my patients will probably be worn pretty thin by that point!

dbn045

May 25, 2006
oh no :ohmy: this doesn't sound good i usually just tighten them until they get tight. Last time i think i made them really tight. i was wondering what might happen if they are to tight.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Okay so last night I busted out the little 1/4" open faced wrench and went to town on it. I was able to tightne quite a few but some just keep turning. Feels like they're stripped because they;d feel like they're getting tight and one more hair of a turn, they'd be lose again. The wheel is a lot more solid than it was the other day but I'm planning on going riding tomorrow. The trails have been calling myu name for 3 weeks now so I'm going riding with about 5-6 friends. I'll see how it holds up.

Do i need to replace the spokes on the ones that wont tighten all the way or what?

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
The big picture...

Here's the deal. Silt gets into the spoke nipples and basically renders them useless to tighten too much because they will bind on the crud that mabe it's way into the them. If your wheeel is really screwed up...which yours sounds like it is, You are going to have to break it down to the rim, and tackle the big job.

You will need a real spoke wrench, not a combination wrench that fits. You can make a jig as super hunky suggested using a vise. (That's how I do mine)You basically have to fabricate a makeshift truing stand...an understand what you need to do with it.

Saying that you go every other spoke or every fourth spoke and do this, is all good. But...it depends on the laceing pattern of YOUR wheel! It's not rocket science...but a close second!

There are many lacing patterns in use, and for someone to just think that one pattern works for all...well, what can I say. They probably have only trued wheels on one brand that laces them all the same.

It's your call, but IMO, it's still the hardest thing you can learn regarding your own motorcycle maintenance.

But hey, if you have the patience to learn the art...all your riding buddies will be paying you to do their wheels for them! Good luck...and remember to keep the rubber side down when you ride!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…