needa2-stroke

Aug 9, 2006
a few days i was prepping my bike to be sold and i tightened all the spokes on the rear wheel.when i took it for a ride i noticed that the rear wheel was warped. is there any way i could fix this myself. all my spokes and nipples are still in good condition. thanks
:|

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Tightening the spokes properly is an art.

I remember back in school my teacher tried to tell us how to draw a horse. It didn't matter how many times she showed us, or how many times she described it, most of us were not able to make anything that looked like a horse.

Adjusting the spokes will establish where the center of the wheel is and how true it runs. Imagin that you loosened all the spokes around the valve stem, and tightened them 180 degrees around. You would shift the center of the wheel, which would result in the bike hopping up and down as it rolled down the road.

Now, loosen some of the spokes on the left side, tighten them on the right. The wheel will warp.

I am really good at messing the spokes up! :-) Then I take it to someone who knows what they are doing and let them fix it for me.

Do a search, someone gave a great description of how to adjust the spokes a couple of months ago. His description made a lot of sense and almost convinced me that I might be able to follow the instructions! Didn't convince me enough that I would mess with bike, I am leaving well enough alone, thank you! His description involved skipping every (some number) spokes and going around and around.

If you need to get the bike sold ASAP then you might want to just take the wheel off and take it down to a shop that can fix it for you. You might end up there anyway!

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
loosen them all with the tire off
start at the valve stem and tighten them alittle at a time every other one!!
go around the rim three times and check it

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom