losing coolant

joekdx00

Apr 6, 2003
i own a 2000 kdx220 and i have to keep on filling up my catch can after every ride,the bike runs fine, if anyone has any suggestions it will be appreciated

kdxme

Apr 7, 2002
not sure where or how you ride but if the motor is getting hot fluid may boil out through the overflow tube. My kdx fluid level is low when its cold and as i ride i goes up to high. so i guess what i'm trying to say is that maybe your over filling the bottle and the bike is getting rid of the excess. just a thought

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
It's one of those things that KDXs do. Simply try leaving the tank empty for a ride. It's an overflow accumulator so it doesn't need any coolant to start out. IF you have one of the Lucky 220s that don't overheat, the coolant will go right back into the radiator after the system cools. For some reason any extra coolant added to those tanks disappears. If you find the bike overheating this summer go to www.evanscooling.com and get their NGP+ - It is the only solution we've found for the chronic overheating that actually works.

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
i have used npg in my 2001 kdx 220 and it works great. i also us it in my race car (68 mustang). just remember don't mix it with water

Nov 12, 2002
I have been riding my '02 220 without the overflow tank for months. It used to lose coolant after every ride... I think it was just bouncing out the overflow tube on the overflow tank! Every time I check my coolant level now it's always full.

It's been posted here before... "I believe my bike runs cooler without the overflow tank blocking flow to the radiator."

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: For some reason any extra coolant added to those tanks disappears..

If it's not getting bounced out, it's draining out after you crash.

Either way, it doesn't stay in there long.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…