sixteendohc

Jul 11, 2006
My 98 KDX220r has started making a very loud squealing noise when its running, in neutral just idling. If I rev it a little the noise changes but is still there. Also if i am just pushing the bike when its off it will once in a while make a similar squealing noise. What is this? it seems to me like a clutch issue?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I don't have any idea. Where is the squealing coming from? It's weird that it would make the same noise with the engine running in neutral as it does with the bike being pushed. Is the bike being pushed in neutral or in gear with the clutch in?

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
on my old xr100 when it made a squealing noise the cam chain was too loose, i dont know if your bike is a 4stroke tho.

paab

Aug 31, 2006
drain the oil and open up the clutch. Could be the throw out bearing is gone (in the center of the assembly). Inspect the whole thing carefully comparing everything to the parts diagram. It's pretty east stuff.

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
squeeling normally means something's rubbing that shouldn't. Probably a bad bearing or wore out bushing somewhere. One thing is for sure, it won't make that noise for long. One day it will stop...! all too abrublty and expensively

sixteendohc

Jul 11, 2006
I was also thinking a bearinig of some sort. I brought it to the dealer to see what they thing, and started it up and the noise was gone.... it sounded perfect. So I have no idea, but they are going to just check it over to see if they can see anything

Top Bottom