Loving my kdx/kx bike

jake7030

Apr 9, 2003
Ever since i got my kdx/kx 200 i have loved it. it is the perfect bike to learn on and great at trails. The only beef i have is that the guy who built it seemd to used some other parts than a kx or kdx. o well.

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
What bike was mainly used? Ive got a kx with a weighted flywheel and it kicks wood-a$$ !!

I was wondering if i could ever put the lights and all the nessisary equipment (all i would need is the generator of the electricity - dont know what exactly its called - and a general 'dual sport' light kit) on my KX to ride at dark or possibly street legalize.

Thanks
Brad

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I believe it would. Contack Jeff Fredette by e-mail and ask him, he would have an answer for you. It bolts on behind the magneto-flywheel and acts as a generator

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
that sucks. i dont know if i would ever register it but itd be nice to have as an option for the future.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
Aaronkdx said:
No 2-stroke on highway

Could you elaborate on that? I know that older 2-stroke dual-purpose and street bikes are licensed and ridden on Colorado roads.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
kdx on highway=2stroke on hihway????

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Depends where you are. I'm in Michigan, I ride my KDX on the road almost daily. Had no problems getting it licenesed (other than the lady at Secretary of State not being able to find the change of title).

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
A manufacture can not make a street legal 2-stroke over a certain displacement (I think its 100cc's, but not sure) for sale in the US. This does not mean that you can not convert an off road 2-stroke for street use yourself.

good luck

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
bikepilot said:
A manufacture can not make a street legal 2-stroke over a certain displacement (I think its 100cc's, but not sure) for sale in the US. This does not mean that you can not convert an off road 2-stroke for street use yourself.

good luck

It's not that they can't, it's that they can't get em to pass emissions. Bimota 500 vdue had a 500cc twin 2 stroke fuel injected crotch rocket a few years back.

Old article:
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbimota/bimota500.html

We have one sitting in one of the un-used offices here. I really, really, really want to ride it. Unfortunatly it's collecting dust and sitting on flat tires:(.

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I would like to know more on 2 strokes on the street. I have an RD350 that is a 2 stroke bike originally designed for street use, and has been licensed as such since it was built. There have been various 2 stroke street bikes over the years, but I don't know that there are any built for legal highway use today in California. I did, however, see a few KTM 300 exc's for sale in San Diego area that are licensed for street use in California just 2 months ago when I bought my KDX. Anybody know about the KTMs that I am referring to? Anybody know any tricks to getting a KDX plated in CA?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
You'll probably get more responces starting a new post with those questions.

I don't know squat about California laws, so I don't know how you'd go about getting a bike licenced there. I know in my one dirt-bike magazine they said it's pretty much impossible and you have to get a bike from out of state that's already registered.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Don't know about CA laws.

I am familer with the V-due, it was always questionable whether it would be legal here, it origionally was supposed to have a FI system that would have allowed it to pass emmisions, but they never got that to work very well. Most if not all V-Due's had carbs retrofitted. Roehr did some work on DI two stroke motorcycles and seems to understand the process much better than Bimota did, but in the end decided that it wouldn't be a wise business move. He is now building a 950cc 4-stroke twin that looks quite promissing, but less fun than the RV500:)

If you ever want to sell that V-due please contact me, I'd be very very interested.

The EPA typicaly does not regulate only the emmisions output, but also the technical charcteristics of most everything under its ever-expanding domain. This means, that even if you could make a clean 2-stroke, it would not necessarily be allowed in the US.

still, all the above does not preclude converting an off-road only 2stroke for street use. This will vary by state. I know of street legal KDX's and CR250R's here in va:)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…