greenmonkey

Aug 22, 2004
ive decided to buy a mid 90's 2-stroke but i have never ridden one. I am used to, and favor, the low end power of a four stroke, but favor the suspension and power/weight ratio of a 2-stroke. The only 2-strokes i have ridden are older ones. I do not notice a significant power band on these and i have check the plugs to ensure they are not fouled. Older 2-stroke bikes seem to behave like a 2-stroke, but why? i rode my brothers 1999 RM 125 once and damn, the power-band was defenatly noticebale. I often use 2-stroke engines equiped on weed-eaters, chainsaws and older trail bikes around 100cc's.etc and never have noticed a power band anywhere near the 125 RM engine. why is this. I plan on buying a 80cc 2-stroke since they are cheap and light and i want to be able to man-handle it like i can my Beartracker ATV. I figured if i did get one i could change the sprockets so that it would have more low end, but what can i do to broaden up the power-band? Why are all the older ones this way? Also i everyone says they 2-strokes are more matence yet my older bike i never had to do anything to it in the whole 4 years i owned it? isnt that the reason most home machines are 2-stokes, because they have no camshafts.etc? :clue:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
2 strokes have no camshafts.
Bikes today make more power than they did 10 years ago.
Maintenance on a 2-stroke is easier to do than on a 4-stroke
If you're foing from a 80-150cc 4-stroke to a 80cc 2-stroke you'll love the power increase.

Go and ride one.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
If your really wanting low end, I woudl not recommend an 80cc two stroke.

You'll never believe the power these make, but it is not down low. I have been working on a CR 80 engine that gets raced hard. Were getting piston life of about 20 hours. Other than that, the bie requires very little maintenance. I have been shocked at how durable this bike is.

greenmonkey

Aug 22, 2004
powerband range

Hey ive been looking for engine stats. on the new 80-cc 2-strokes for charts and data powerbands. I would like to see some info on the power at diffrent rpms and when does the powerbad kick-in? If you know anything or where to go to find out please reply
Also all you 2-stroke riders, whats the longest time youve went on one piston?
i used to have older 2-stroke bike i think a 1980 80cc, dont know what name, and i never had to changethe piston once in the 5 years i had it?

Top Bottom