Low-end Booooooogggggg!

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
I need a little help here please. I have got a 2001 Kawasaki KDX200. Since I bought it new, I've put a Pro Circuit Platinum pipe and the 304 Factory Sound Silencer. I took the air box lid off, changed jetting (lean-according to what fmf says), installed Carbon Tech High Tension reeds, and a Twin Air filter. I love the bike's great top-end hit. But, on the bottom the bike tends to bog down and I don't get that snappy quick response.What I might be doing is probably try shaving the the flywheel to 4 kg. That is what they have on the KX125. Or, if that isn't successful then i'll mess with the exhaust valves and try to open them up a little. I'm thinking that my pipe is mostly made for top-end power (which is what it said and what I wanted), and I want to use both top-end hit AND the low-end snap. So, if anybody has a solution or some suggestions then please post. THANK YOU

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
you could try bringing in your air screw and/or dropping your clip one notch on the needle; make sure it's not maybe a bit lean off idle

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
YOUR pilot may be to lean. to check this- Start your bike and let it warm up, then adjust your air screw until the engine is at the fastest rpm level. your carb should have a default setting on it where the factory has it. If you end up screwing in the air screw more than what kaw has set it you need a bigger pilot jet- if you screw it out more that what kaw set it for than you need a smaller jet- u could also ride in 1 or 2 gear wide open for 15- 20 your plug will tell if it is the right jetting Good LUCK it's hard at first but it will get easier.

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
High tension reeds are top-end power oriented; that may a big handicap right there. Sounds like it could be jetting though if its bogging, rather than just a lack of power. Good luck.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
kdxsam, when you changed the jetting, did you make it richer or leaner. I think you probably went leaner. So try turning the air screw in some to make richer and test throttle response. When you remove the airbox lid, the engine can then suck in more air, which would create a lean condition, so richen your pilot jet or air screw.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
You think its bogging now, wait til you dink with the power valves.. :silly:

And don't cut the flywheel unless you like to bog and stall, or you crave feeling every TDC through your arms.

I concur, richen up you off idle jetting, can the high tension reeds..

The factory needle has a large diameter straight section so you can't (read shouldn't) go too low on the pilot with that needle. (I suspect below 42 would be problematic unless you were at altitude.

Reply with your current jet set for all to ponder..including AS setting and describe how you set it.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…