emullen

Aug 6, 2003
Hello, new here and bought my '95 KDX about a year ago. Ran OK and was in good shape when I bought it. I recently did several upgrades after researching on this forum. Put on Pro-Circuit Platinum 2 pipe, 304 silencer, went to 42 pilot, 152 main, 1173 needle in second clip from top and air screw 2 turns out right now. Bike absolutely rips now! It sounds much better, will lift the front wheel through 3rd gear easily and has quite a "hit" to it in the lower midrange. For any of you wondering about the Platinum 2 pipe it provides a big boost in power from the lower midrange to the top end. It does have quite a hard "hit" to it though. It will lift the front wheel when it comes on the pipe even if your holding the throttle steady. It has a bark to it similar to my KX250 when you give it a little clutch. Throttle response is much crisper. I forgot to mention, also put in Boyeson 607 reeds. Only minor problem is that the bike still is just a little rich at about 1/4 throttle. Any suggestions? Should I try the 1172 needle at sea level and 80 degrees in Illinois? Thanks to all for the good imformation here.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Congrats on having it all come together!

Try a Keihin CEL/DEL needle. The CEL will be smoother (less hit) and the DEL will hit harder. Either one is much better than the stock kawi needles. You'd probably need to go down 1 or 2 on the pilot and main though after the swap, as the xEK needles are a bit richer than the stock needles, but they have a much better overall fuel curve.

Top Bottom