MARC

May 8, 2002
Anyone found a good 2 stroke oil that doesn't smoke excessively? Trying the Amsoil 2000 race oil now ( everyone around here hypes it and sells it ) and not much impressed for the price so far. Mixed it slightly heavier than the recommend 50:1 ( went with 7 oz. to 2 gallons gas instead of 5 oz. to 2 gallons ) and the thing smokes like a steamship. Want to run a full synthetic to keep those valves clean ya know.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I found that the fully synthetic oils smoke more and cause more spooge buildup on the valves and in the pipe. I think it's because the oil doesn't burn correctly unless your riding WOT all the time and this usually isn't the case in trail riding.

I switched from GS to Maxima SuperM which is a synthetic blend and the smoke is almost gone. Try a semi-synthetic oil and I think you'll like the results better.

MARC

May 8, 2002
makes sense, thats probably why they call it race oil, it's made for all out high rpm running and if youre not racing the stuff doesnt burn right, who knows?? Anyone who has read my threads has probably figured out by now besides bikes Im into sleds, talked to the local Cat dealer in town about oils and Cat switched from a semi syn to full syn last season because they claimed were having problems with the valves sticking rather early and they claim the new stuff is way better, so who do you believe, maybe they just wanted to get $35.00 a gallon instead of $25.00 and this is their excuse??? All I know is my buddies sled smokes just as much as it did last year, and the stuff smells terrible.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I don't know much about sleds but do a search on premix and you'll find many opinions on which oil riders like to run and why.

If your jetted rich you will see alot of smoke even with "low smoke oil"

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
I have been using Amsoil 2000 in my bike for a long time now, and I haven't had any problems with excessive smoke. In fact, the bike hardly ever produces much smoke at all; just a little puff now and then, even with stock jetting. Then again, I do an aweful lot of high speed/ high RPM riding too. Over the winter, my motor was just taken apart for the first time since it was new in '97: from my findings I can say that Amsoil products mixed at 40-50:1 do not cause excessive carbon buildup in the powervalves. In fact, my powervalves were cleaner than most of the pictures I've seen of powervalves that have had a lot less time on them.

Summing up, in my experience/situation Amsoil 2000 is an exellent oil for low smoke and little carbon buildup. Your results may vary...

Regards,
Lutz

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I have used various brands of oil, Maxima super m, belray h1r, and have now settled on Redline synthetic racing oil. For my 220 no smoke and no spooge, good jetting. The 200 no smoke but a little spooge, this one is very tempermental about jetting. I believe whatever oil you decide to run jetting is the important part.
Lew

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
I use Belray MC-1 and it works perfect. After its warm it barely smokes at all. I've used it since it was new except for the Kawi oil that came with it new. I tend to keep an eye on plug more often now cause fear of running it to lean or rich which ever one is less oil.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
My bike puts up a smoke screen like you wouldn't believe when its cold using Torco Synthetic. After it warms up almost no smoke though. You should see the look on my neighbors face when I fire it up in the driveway. The huge smoke cloud always covers his nice flower beds and front yard. :moon:

Put-Put

Apr 13, 2002
I switched from Amsoil (40:1) to Maxima SuperM (40:1) and the smoking ceased. Prior to that I looked like a two wheeled smoke generator, my buddies could follow me thorugh the tight trails by the blue smoke hanging in the air. Now I don't have to park in the smoking section!

MARC

May 8, 2002
rode it hard for the first time this weekend (it's new) and also noticed once the bike warmed up not nearly as much smoke as when it is first started (could kill all the mosquitoes in the county warming up) running the amsoil 2000. Seems to be good oil after the first full day ride and have been mixing at about 45:1. ( a little heavier than what they recommend) Again being a sled head, when the synthetics first became popular, the big boast from the maker of the oil was synthetics produce little or no smoke and you dont have to use nearly as much oil, really havent found that to be the case vs. the regular stuff. All I care is, if I'm going to spend the big bucks for the stuff, it better actually help keep the valves cleaner as claimed and is worth paying the high price tag.

vandean

Feb 19, 2002
I run Bel ray MC-1 and it doesn't hardly smoke at all after it's warmed up.I've been running at 32:1 as well.I think you have a jetting problem.

Top Bottom