85YZRacer

Aug 7, 2006
I want to replace the crank bearings and seals. i am buying a crankcase splitter and flywheel puller. Is there anything else i'll need to remove the bearings and the crankshaft?

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I also use a bearing puller. You can get a "blind side" puller set that can pull the bearings without damaging the seals, but I use a home brewed item to do the job.

Im guessing this is the first time you've done this, so i'll throw this in too: When putting it back together, it is helpful to put the main bearings in the freezer for a few hours, and when you are ready, put the case halves in the oven at about 350 for about 10 or 15 minutes. that makes putting the mains in much easier.

Later, put the crank in the freezer, and take the gear side case with the new bearings installed and put it in the oven. Place the crank in the gear side case (with the transmission in it), and then freeze that whole assembly and heat the clutch side case and drop it on. Should take only very light taps with a rubber mallet to do it.

Also, Ive had older units go together so that the crank would not turn freely, and I thought I mangled something, but all I had to do was center the crank somewhat using the crank case puller to nudge it.

Good luck!

Top Bottom