Lowering an 87 KDX200 (yes I searched - no help)

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I just read a ton of repeat threads about lowering post 95 models. Anyone got any info on the 87? Can you make new dog bones? I wouldn't mind making my own, but does anyone have dimensions and such? Anyone here lowered one of these at all?

It is for my GF - she is 5'6" tall and weighs 130lbs and just bought an 87 KDX200. She is a novice rider.

Thanks,
Phil Jensen

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
1Ton...

Lowering a bike is easy...

First determine how much lower 1" 1.5" etc. Put the bike on a stand stack up some 2x4's under the rear wheel so that they just fit and remove the forward link bolt. Now prop up the rear wheel the distance you want to lower the bike. Measure the distance from the pivot (bolt you removed) to the bolt under the swingarm. Fabricate a new link. You should be able to make one with a hacksaw, drill press and grinder. Longer is lower. ;) Then raise the fork tubes (tubes stick out more from the top triple clamp) to match, although you can only go about 1/2".

or...

You can buy some Kouba Links.
http://www.koubalink.com/kdxinstall.html

Best of luck. :cool:

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Thanks for the tip - that's roughly what I had in mind, just wondering if anyone else did it on an old bike. Guess not.

Oh, and for the Kouba - you must have missed the part in the link you sent that says "1995-up" ;)

Thanks,
Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Thanks for the good info! Picking up the bike tommorow, so I will get to look at it then.

Phil

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…