MotoGreg

Sep 23, 2001
I'm thinking about lowering my WR a little, for Supermoto. I'm not sure how much... I was thinking 50mm (2 inches) sounds about right but I was curious about what other people are running. Is it just a matter of installing a spacer inside the forks and shock that doesn't let them extend fully? How do I figure what 50mm of wheel travel would be at the shock shaft after it goes through the linkage? It seems like it would only be about roughly 1/3 of the 50mm because the suspension has 12" of travel and the shock stroke has around 4 or 5 inches I'd guess. As far as the forks go, do you need shorter springs or are they just preloaded 50mm afterwards?

Can someone give me some insight on what exactly is needed? I'm a mechanical person and it's not a big deal for me to take the components apart and fabricate spacers. What I need info on is what would I need to do at that point. They are inverted Kayaba's by the way and I already have stiffer springs front and rear and also different valving (I used to ride it for MX rather than offroad like WR's are setup stock for). As far as the shock, same thing, is this something I could do and then just have the shop recharge the nitrogen when I'm done?

I saw in the White Brothers catalog their suspension labor charges. It said modify fork travel $75 and the shock was only $35 labor. Then it said plus needed parts, I assume that meant fork/shock oil and maybe some spacers. I thought that sounded like a great deal so I went by there today to inquire about it and they told me it would be around $600. I'm a cheap ******* and didn't want to spend more than $200 so that's why I'm wondering if someone can give me some insight or point me to a webpage covering this.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I do this alot on drag bikesand for woods riders , Im sure you could also, I use aluminum rod from like a race car radius rod or alum round stock from McMaster Carr and on the rear I like to use plastic or even a Hard rubber hockey puck(seriously) turned down on a lathe . On YZF 250 I once shortened the springs for a real short enduro rider. If you shorten the spring and forks make sure you curl the end so its flush and point that end of the spring towards the cap so it cant rub the internals. or maybe of you can try to remove the elastomer bottom out system and use a spring seat washer at the top cap and a longer plastic spring guide from a non bumper KYB fork. The bumper fork springs are like 50mms shorter than non bumper springs and that may be the distance neededafter your mod. I dont think youll really need a bumper for motard but I could be wrong , you wnt really be jumping much will you? Make sure nothing coil binds but probaby wont. Good Luck and let us know DEAN

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom