Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
I am in the process of buying a KTM 400 RFS. I have a deposit on a E/XC with the intention of making a barely legal 'dual sport' out of it, but after 2 seconds of thought I wondered if the M/XC is a better base to work from.

My thinking is this: If I am spending the money for a kit from UFO or Baja Designs (which includes lights) isn't it cost effective to start with the M/XC. The M/XC has a larger tank as well.

My Questions:
Does the M/XC have enough wattage to power lights etc?
Are there any other unseen differences (suspension valving etc)?
What difference will the gearing make in general trail riding conditions?
What are the actual weights of both bikes?

Thanks in advance.

Kwi

Note: I ride 90% off-road and mostly single track or mountain terrain. I usually do a couple of rides a year in the south west desert areas and plan on riding Baja next spring as well.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Kwi-Chang, where the heck have you been buddy, long time no see. I thought you were a die hard KDX man !

From what I hear, the EXC is very easy to make street legal, as the wiring harness has the extra stuff necessary for the conversion. After all the bike is street legal in the rest of the world, I wonder why Canada has to put up with all the USA DOT crap, you guys should just order in Euro spec bikes. A lot of guys are getting the extras with their EXC's, turn signals, etc and all they need do is connect them in.

Baja should be fun !

I have just gone from a DRZ400S to a new Gas Gas Pampera 280 - I liked the DRZ, I am in love with the GG :silly:

B

biglou

Do a quick search.

Kwi-Chang: There are numerous threads that discuss all the differences and similarities of the EXC-MXC bikes in this forum. Use those two words, EXC and MXC, as your keywords and select this forum from the drop-down box on the search page. There is even one thread where I posted links to five other threads discussing the differrences. You should get an overload of info!

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
Hey Basher - it's good to be back!
I have been in a 12 step program to help me deal with an addiction problem. You see I spent so much time on a web site by the name of DirtRider.Net that my real world life was suffering. Now that I have a new bike on the horizon I will be stopping by for an occasional visit.

As for the KDX - you silly Basher, KDX's are for kids! (kids are anyone on the good side of 40). I had a great time with the KDX and got the bike working well with the help of Renthal, Race-Tech, FMF, Steahly, Ohlins. But I have taken the bike as far as it would go and spending more dough on it was just not an option.

So the logic is this: If I spend close to $10K (Can) on a bike, I should make it versatile so I can use it more and therefor get my moneys worth. Hence the 'dual sport' option.

I have started to do more exploring on my bike using GPS and maps to find new routes and interesting places to visit. It's a sign of old age I guess.
Check out http://www.motorcycleexplorer.com/

I'm not sure what hoops I will have to jump through to make the KTM legal up here but I'm sure it is close to the US version of legal.

What's a Pampera? Sounds like a new diaper! Have I been out of the loop that long that there is new bikes I haven't heard of?

Thanks Big Lou - seems there is a ton of info if you know where to look.

Thanks

Kwi-Chang

Nov 17, 1999
BIG Lou - I did the search and found the links but there aren't any words in the threads.

A warning something like - unknown modifier c

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The Pampera is a Gas Gas enduro style bike with a trials engine, is smaller than a regular 'big' off road bike, is very KDX'ish, only better, has a 280 cc 2 stroke engine, weighs under 200 pounds, has gobs of torque, and is very easy to ride - lots of fun.

The EXC sounds like the bike for you, everyone just raves about the 400, if you like the extra power, the 520 may be the bike for you. Check out the KTM forum at http://www.thumpertalk.com.

See what your local KTM dealer says about making the bike street legal. I would think Canadia is less stringent than the USA (maybe not !)

Top Bottom