bud

Jun 29, 1999
Gday folks. My bike started making rich noises when wide open a couple weeks ago. The fuel is the same and weather has not changed significantly. The stock main jet is a 400 and I had a 380 in. I now have a 360 in, which would be very lean in any other husky...and it still blubbers on top. What are the likely causes? The air filter is clean..

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Check your float height, if it's too high it could cause you to run rich. Check the manual for info on how to set it.
Did you change your fuel or premix ratio? Going from say 24:1 to 40:1 would cause the bike to run richer as would over oiling the air filter.

skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
Good ideas from Mac - a couple more things. There is a needle and seat that the float actuates that can wear. Basically, the float rises as the bowl fills with gas. When the float rises to the preset point, it pushes a needle into the seat and cuts off the flow of fuel. If the seat or needle is worn, fuel will still dribble through making hte fuel height too high - therefore making it run rich. Another thing... if the tranny-side seal is leaking, you will run rich (you will also see tons of smoke). Finally, make sure none of your vent hoses are clogged.

Good Luck!

bud

Jun 29, 1999
thanks. I'll have a look at the float. But would a high float level be consistent with it only being rich at wfo? Up to probably 7/8 throttle, the jetting is good (enough:)). It changed suddenly too...

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Part of me still says check around the problem. Try a new airfilter (you should have a spare so now is a good time. Test try it before you oil it in clean conditions.

Also change the plug & cap as a matter of course, a slow breakdown misfire can be misleading.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Also check to see if the choke circuit is clean. Dirt under the plunger can let gas leak past and make it run rich. It the engine will start without using the choke then it's not seating fully.

eldenh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2001
Have you replaced the main jet since the problem started? I've had the main jet fall out with result of rich at WFO.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Lo again. Reeds ok, choke ok, main jet torqued :D. Had a fresh plug and air filter already.

I lowered the float level which fixed the wfo problem, only now it's lean up to 1/3 throttle. I'm a little worried I've only hidden the actual problem... unless there's any more suggestions, I'll richen the pilot and sue you all if it blows up.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Double check to see if the float has a leak like Dave suggested. You can usually tell if you have it upside down a flick it up a bit. You will feel if there is fuel inside of it. Tell us if it smokes like hell.

Top Bottom