Maintain your bike!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Cripes how hard is it to grease the suspension once in a while? Maybe pull the engine mounts and clean the corrosion off?

I spent 2 hours, 1/4 can of WD40, a bunch of compressed air through a 1/2" impact wrench to spin things loose, a brass drift and a BIG hammer to extract the swing arm pivot last night so I could pull the engine on my latest project. :|

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
what project would this be, oh pantless one?

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Patman I know exactly what your saying...I spent 2 hours trying to remove the rear axle on a bike I bought used and in the end I had to take the swingarm and wheel to the dealer to get it pressed out!! When I went in to pick it up the mechanics were laughing at how much force was required by ther press to push it out.
I FEEL YOUR PAIN AND FRUSTRATION!!! :p

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
smb, right now it's just a jigsaw puzzle. Once I make some progress I'll bring it to show and tell. Until then the world will abound with rumor and question. ;)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
guess you could just buy a new one and not worry about it! :p

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
It's always the worst when you buy a used bike and find that it has problems. For example, I had to completely destroy my rear axle to get it out of my CR...cost me $30...not fun. I feel your pain

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
There's nothing new that I want with one exception (TE250) and a long distance dealership with a new model isn't my thing right now so I'll mess with an erector set and make my own for now.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
When I bought my KTM back in '98, I had to pound the cr@p out of the rear axle bolt to get it out. This on a brand new bike.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Offroadr
guess you could just buy a new one and not worry about it! :p
Jay - Remember how much fun it was removing that swingarm shaft on your brand new GG? :moon:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I spent a good 20 minutes pounding the swingarm pivot out of my new CR250 the other night. Then, as I was putting it back together, I torqued the link/frame mount bolt in two (honestly, I was using their specs).

I can sure see the value in lubing those links but it sure is a chore for me. My twin chamber forks are strewn about the kitchen in pieces. Hoping to get the stiffer springs and some fluid in tonite and lube the steering head whilst I'm at it. There was little grease on the back end so I expect the same for the front.

To answer your question...it is a royal pain in the keister....and I miss the zerk fittings terribly.

Last edited:

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Ha! Try taking apart a bike built in 1972 that may have had some preventative maintenance sometime in 75......... :confused:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I spent an hour trying to remove a 30 year old tire from a Minitrail wheel. I finally CUT the thing off. It was a two-piece wheel, too. I haven't ridden my 250F in 6 weeks, and when i moved it across the garage, I found that the steering stem was frozen in place. :o As soon as I get the KTM together, I'm going to tear down the 250F and lube everything.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
How about taking a swingarm bolt out of a '79 YZ400?
an abused & neglected '79 YZ400..... :scream:
I ended up removing the engine, wheel, etc and HACKSAWING it out!
(turns out it was cracked and the ends mushroomed out to hold it in place.)
Do youselves a favor. Drill and tap your suspention to install grease fittings.
easy and simple mod, well worth it. :D

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Tell me about it guys. My brother is now replacing a whole bunch of bushings and bearings in his kx500. The guy that had it before him seemed to like the idea of using one size bigger nuts on the ends of bolts. Come on, did he really think that would hold? And talk about lack of grease. The only things that come out easily are the things that are so worn that they fall out by themselves.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Note to self!! Don't sell to patman :)

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
:) :) :)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Seem I join the swingarm pivot crowd also. Spent 20 minutes last night pounding it out also and once out the bushings were so worn they just fell onto the floor. At least by DW I should have most major components working.
Another little pet peave as I look at how most of my plastic is zip tied in place don't crank the bolts so tight just use a little locktite. Whoever had this before twisted off 1/2 the frame mounts

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
As an aside, we went riding tonite, watched a guy unload a quad and an old Trail 70. The 70 never started, (must've kicked it several thousand times, then pushed about a 1/4 mile) and the quad started on the first try, went about a half mile and blew the chain off! Can you say MAINTENANCE? :p

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Gotta admit ive been putting off greasing my swingarm pivot.. I will do it this sunday or monday.. Thanks all :)
RIck

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The previous owners of my 200 didn't believe in grease. The rear axle was seized, but I finally got it out after a couple hours. I took out the front axle, but it was all greased just fine. Next job is steering stem and linkage, but first I have to get a manual.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
I thought these things just happen to me, because I'm such a poor mechanic. You're all making me feel better. I think I'll go tackle my bike problem again.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Well look who took their "Wa wa" pills. Just wait till we try to tear the swing arm off my old YZ. I think it will involve a long chain and your F250. :) I just made sure I bought my current ride from a guy who is borderline obsessive-compulsive when it comes to DB maintenance. This ensured me that I wouldn't have to do preventative stuff right after buying it. ;)

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Pssst, I know what Patman's creation is. I can't say much without him getting mad at me, but it involves a Rokon and CR500 motor. Pat says you just can't beat 2-wheel drive in the woods. ;)

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
If it does involve a Rokon, and there are donor organs, do not discard them!

Now there's a machine to bring to Dirt Week. No Clutch, and a pull start. Life is good!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Please Pat, don't be mad at me for posting this pic.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…