What a BAD Ride

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
Well Saturday my riding buddy and I drove about 2hrs up north to Bull Gap MI. for a 2hr loop and to shoot the hill a couple times and head back. DIDN'T HAPPEN about 1/2 hour into the ride i was hearing a knocking noise so we stopped and i revved it up while tony (ride friend) was listening. we narrowed it down to inside the magneto cover. We took that cover off and the nut for the magneto had walked right off the shaft and was held on by about 3 threads and hitting the cover. Only socket we did not have was the one we needed, 14mm although we had a wrench it wouldn't fit into the recessed nut so we waited until some kind soul could help me w/ a socket and a fellow rider was nice enough to help. so we got that nut as tight as we could out on the trail by hand and decided to turn back to the truck in fear of it happening again. So heres the scenario I'm off the side of the trail broadside and 2 quads pull up to me and they stopped Tony had already taken off and as I hopped on my bike the quad took off straight at me so I had no option but to jump off my bike and set it down (not drop set it down) :bang: and he ran over the edge of my front tire and was gone :coocoo: so now I'm angry I pick up my bike and you wouldn't believe it it snapped my clutch perch right off. So now I'm just sitting there by myself waiting for tony to realize I'm not behind him, in the meantime another group of quads pull up and the guy was dumb enough to be wearing tennis shoes but also nice enough to to cut his own lace off so i could tie my clutch back on and it worked. so Tony's back now and we are finally ready to head back so i start it back up and believe it or not the nut had come loose again so in fear of catastrophic engine failure I had decided to begin my long push up to m-33 and Tony headed back for the truck.
total time spent on trail 2.5hrs
total ride time .5hrs
total drive time 2hrs
getting run over by a quad sitting still PRICELESS
And that was my awesome day Saturday sound like a riot huh :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Sounds like a fun day! Err, not really. Bull Gap is a great place to meet lots and lots of quad riders, seems like that's what 90% of the people there are on. I never much liked that area on a bike, there are much more fun areas to ride around there.

As for the flywheel nut thing, I had the same problem a few months back, it sucked! Mine came all the way off and then the key in the flywheel broke. Put a sliver of it back in upside down so it held alignment, but then only had needle nose plies to reach in to tighten the nut. Made it about 1/2 mile closer to the parking area before it came off again. Then had a terrifiying ride on the back of an XR400. Then had to drag the trailer behind the Jeep down a wash that was about 1/2 as wide as I needed it to be. Some spots it was close to 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep, with no option but to put 2 tires in and 2 out. Bent up the lower portions of my Haulmark pretty bad, but made it in and back out. A little hammer work later and it's good as new. Or at lease good enough for who it's for.

Top Bottom