Maintinence difference, i have a supermini...

Status
Not open for further replies.

motocross4life

Yamaha-What'r You Riding?
Oct 29, 2006
So guys, as most of you know already, i have purchased a 2004 yz85 supermini. I was wondering what the difference in maintaining it would be from a stock 85. Here are a few questions i have:

1) Do i get a stock 2004 yz85 manual or a special kind?
2) What kind of premix do i use? 32:1? 35:1? 40:1?
3) Whats the best tranny oil to use?
4) How often should i change the oil?

Remember this is a supermini, not a regular. So could you guys help me out?

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
What size supermini? 105, 112?

Everything should be the same except the gas you need to run in it.

On our bikes, we have to run at least 100 octane mixed at 32:1-40:1

We use Honda oil in the tranny and Silkolene pre-mix.

As far as rebuilding the topend, you will need to know the bore size for replacing the piston and ring.

motocross4life

Oct 29, 2006
Cody305 said:
What size supermini? 105, 112?

Everything should be the same except the gas you need to run in it.

On our bikes, we have to run at least 100 octane mixed at 32:1-40:1

We use Honda oil in the tranny and Silkolene pre-mix.

As far as rebuilding the topend, you will need to know the bore size for replacing the piston and ring.
it is a 112cc. so i guessed we should be running 92 octane, and about 35:1 premix. correct?

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
If you can get the jetting correct for 92 octane gas, then you should be ok. We tried a lower octane mix and it wasn't right for us. Thus the reason we blened a higher octane mix.

As far as mantaining the 112, make sure you check piston clearences. We change out piston and rings after 10-12 hours of racing. There is a lot more pressure in a 112 motor vs a 85cc motor, so it is quite possible that you will wear internal parts out faster than on a stock bike.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
if you ride relatively hard, usually staying in the powerband, then run 32:1. if you dont ride that hard, or your not usually ringing it out, then run 40:1. running 32:1 injects more oil into the cyclinder and requires you to be on the throttle more, but it gives you more power. vice-versa for 40:1. ;)

motocross4life

Oct 29, 2006
kawicam250 said:
if you ride relatively hard, usually staying in the powerband, then run 32:1. if you dont ride that hard, or your not usually ringing it out, then run 40:1. running 32:1 injects more oil into the cyclinder and requires you to be on the throttle more, but it gives you more power. vice-versa for 40:1. ;)
Thanks guys, The elevvation from where we purchased the bike, to here is about 300 feet difference. think it should be fine? also my dad said we should run over to the airport to get some jet fuel that is high octane, will that work? and im not racing, so i dont think ill be checking the piston as often as you cody. and cody, is your bike a supermini?

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
motocross4life said:
Thanks guys, The elevvation from where we purchased the bike, to here is about 300 feet difference. think it should be fine? also my dad said we should run over to the airport to get some jet fuel that is high octane, will that work? and im not racing, so i dont think ill be checking the piston as often as you cody. and cody, is your bike a supermini?

We are building a new one for Loretta Lynn's next year.
Kind of had to wait and see on the CRF150R before committing on a 2 stroke again.
We should have it very soon.
Most of the guys we race against have superminis and we helped build a couple of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom