Man falls into tree mulcher OUCH!

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
The 17-year-old male was landscaping in the 12400 block of Bacall Lane when he climbed on top of the mulch spreader and lost his balance, said Sandy Palmer, executive assistant at TopMulch, the Brookeville company where the teenager worked.

He had been with the company for "a couple of weeks," Palmer said.

The machine, called a "bark blower," churns mulch with a large spinning device called an auger and then disperses it through a hose, Palmer said. The machine had jammed and the teenager had gotten on top of the truck to see why the mechanism wasn't working, Palmer said.

Police said the victim's co-worker had asked the teenager to turn off the machine. When the sound of the machine did not stop, the co-worker went to investigate.

"He came to the door, just screaming," said a man who described himself as the owner of the house where the workers were landscaping, but who declined to provide his name. "I called 911."

The house owner, who speaks Spanish and who initially interpreted for the distraught worker when police arrived, said the deceased worker came from Guatemala. Authorities said he lived in Wheaton.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services received the 911 dispatch at 2:55 p.m., said police spokesman Joyce Utter. The young man was "almost certainly" dead when rescue crews arrived minutes later, she said.

Rescue workers took the mulch spreader to a fire station to remove the victim's body, Utter said.

She said authorities did not release the victim's name because his family had not been notified last night.

"It always happens to the new guys at work"

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Ouch! Guess that's why they have a law that people under 18 arent allowed to use certian equipment at work.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
That wasn't the Sadaam Hussein Tree Trimming Co. was it?

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Bad joke, Crim. :|

Someone should have been supervising this individual at all times.

Rescue workers took the mulch spreader to a fire station to remove the victim's body, Utter said.
:ugg:

"It always happens to the new guys at work."
If that is the case then it sounds like the employer needs to offer safety training which I thought was required by law. :think:

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
Very sad. I've worked with California workers' compensation for a long time. Non-english speaking workers are killed in the state at an alarming rate. The situation really merits investigation. Often, these resident aliens are injured, or killed, in the first few weeks of their employment.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
"It always happens to the new guys at work"
:think:

I think company policy should be to tell all new young employees that part of the job will be to fall into a bark shredder.

"I called 911."

The guy was hamburger and they call an ambulance....

Of course I'm being stupid here. After all, my life is trying to prevent death. It just cracks me up how these things are reported sometimes. It's interesting that they're finally getting around to understanding that these typically non-english speaking immigrants are dying for their freedom on farms and such....it's been going on for years. I can think of 3 on our farm alone in the last 10-20 years (that I can remember). All non-English speaking Mexicans, new from Mexico (I believe). I think it's a language barrier.

One was an Ammonia tank junction/hose coming undone in Nebraska.

Another was my dad jumpstarting (crossing pos/neg on starter solenoid after he THOUGHT it was out of gear) a cabless 5020 John Deere (parked) pulling a disc (down) on mainstreet Leoti, KS. It started, lurched forward and ran over the unsuspecting guy, followed by the disc going over him (again, down). The tractor went through an insurance agency on mainstreet, and the guy? He lived, and without injury. No one knows how, but his clothes were all torn off and skin shredded--but he didn't go to the hospital. Weights and chloride in the wheels as well. Tough bastage? I think miracle.

The last was our pregnant house-cleaner's husband. She and he were near and dear to us--just like family. Her husband worked for my dad (I know what you're thinking), and they were pulling a sprinkler--one span at a time--about 3 sections. He was using a front loader on one end, and got caught up in the high voltage lines. My dad had told him repeatedly that if he were to get caught, NOT to get out of the tractor. He gets out, and as soon as his first foot left the ladder, it arced to ground and, well...

FYI only. I thought it might be useful information.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
About a year ago there was a similar accident locally, except it was one of the worker's (owner I think) 5 year old kid who got caught in a branch as it was being sucked into the shredder.

:(

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Man, what a horrible accident!

Table saws, chainsaws, heavy farm equipment. Gotta treat 'em with the utmost respect. Never turn your back on any of them when they're running. Those chipper/shredder thingys have given me the willys ever since watching that "Fargo" movie! :yikes:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
dirty~d~ said:
If that is the case then it sounds like the employer needs to offer safety training which I thought was required by law. :think:

You gotta TELL someone not to fall in a chipper?

Not to make light of it, but . . . . . . dah-yum.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Ouch!! I bet he dropped his commen sense in the shreader and was retrieving it.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Jon K. said:
You gotta TELL someone not to fall in a chipper?

Not to make light of it, but . . . . . . dah-yum.

No, you have to tell them not to climb on it while it's TURNED ON. :|

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
This happened not far from me , I've actually used this co. before. Supposedly they DO have a safety program in place , the kid was sent to turn the machine off, noone knows why he climbed up on top of it.
This was a mulch spreader not a tree chipper, it has a big auger that feeds the mulch to the end that blows it out a hose. If you haven't seen one the top edge of the bed is about 10 ft. off the ground , it's a huge truck, have no idea why he would go up there.

Alot of people get pulled through chippers every year, happened at a co. I used to work for-no safety program at all.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
If something like that were to happen where I work, it would trigger an all-hands stand down and then we'd all get two days of safety training. Not that we have any mulch spreaders.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…