Manufactured Homes - Good, bad, ugly?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I recently got a 30% raise (plus substantial potential bonuses on contingent fee cases).

My wife and I are looking to buy a house - and it appears I can get financed in spite of my heavy law school debt. In this area you can get a decent 3BR home for $60,000-70,000. However, many of the homes in that price range are older homes (50-100 years).

Then again, several years ago, my parents got a very nice 3 BR with hardwood floors, 2 stone fireplaces and a full basement for $55,000.

Anyway, I'm basically wondering whether or not to look seriously at manfactured homes or not. The two story ones are out of our price range, but a manufactured double wide - (say 32x64) is within our price range.

I just missed 5+ acres (no house) for $8500.00 - it sold today.

Basically my choices are an older SF home or a new manufactured home. Anybody have any experiences with the manufactured homes to share?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Most that I have hooked the plumbing on are pretty well built compared to stick built. Some have 2x6 walls,2-story,minimal to no OSB or similar BS engineered trampoline crap! That is why I quit building homes,plywood is by far superior. Even the metal bar joist homes are not bad. The pex water lines in cold climates remain to be seen. Put a double on a basement and you have something,put it on the ground or crawl space and you might as well leave the wheels on.

kawikiller

Mar 2, 2007
I used to work for a loan company and we would not do loans on manufactured homes if we did I would of had a ton of more sales. Maybe it was just my company that wouldn't do them but it might be hard to get a loan on the house. Which seemed like a problem most of the manufactured home owners had when I spoke with them.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
North central Indiana is where allot of them are grown,not as much as corn,yet! Last time I asked, many of the companies sold them with land purchases. Resale value is what I would look at also.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
Whatever you do don't move to connecticut. I paid $69,900 in 1984 for a new 24x32 cape( stick built). Out here they call them modular homes. The ones that are pre-built and then transported to the site if I understand your question correctly. A friend of mine once worked for Shoreline Modular. He got a tour of the plant where they were assembled. He was very impressed with the construction. Everything was jigged to ensure squareness ( is that a word) and the structure was screwed and glued together to be able to survive transport. In his mind they are better built then most custom homes. But as always every company is different. Good luck and be careful. paul
P.S. doesn't 100 year old wiring and plumbing scare you :yikes:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
By manufactured homes, are you talking about mobile homes? Because there is a new(er) type where the individual pieces are carted in, but the end result looks much more like a conventional house. Often these come in 3-6 pieces that are put together on site. You can probably locate a few of these on the mobile home lot.

As far as build quality, you may have to look pretty close, but you will probably find thin walls, as well as cheap hinges and interior doors. This is done to keep the weight of the home down for transport. Otherwise, they make fine starter homes, which is what I expect that you are looking for. Also, a modern mobile home is every bit as nice as a 60s era conventional, but it has fewer unexpected headaches (old wiring and plumbing come to mind).

If you do go with a mobile/manufactured home, I recommend finding one with actual shingles on the roof, and putting in on a solid foundation instead of just putting it on blocks and strapping it down. The homeowners insurance will likely be more kind that way, possibly even considering it a house instead of a mobile.

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
DEFINITELY put it on a basement. It will then become realestate, and not just a manufactured home. I've got an uncle that works for a company in Ohio, can't remember the name. He finally talked to me into coming in to look at their models (was a hard sell, as the son of a construction company owner). I have to admit, they were very nice inside and out. Everything he showed me as as nice or nicer than the 200k+ homes being built in our area (not that that is saying much). Personally, I like the uniqueness and character of an old home (mine's 100 yrs old). But there is a lot more upkeep involved. I'd sell mine in a heartbeat to buy a manufactured if I had some land to put it on. Just $.02 :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
My ol' man has been living in one for the past 20 years and hasn't had a problem one. and I'll second the putting it on a basement. Worth the extra jingle.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
My mother in law bought one about 6 years ago. I dont know what brand it is but they had looked at alot of the manufactures before going with this one. They upgraded everything from the basic package: better windows, flooring, drywall behind the paneling, 2x6 walls, countertops, and much more. Put it on a full basement, and then had some one build them a nice 2 1/2 car attatched garage.

They are 100 % sure they screwed up. While the contractor was building the garage and he also poured the concrete, just for the heck of it he figured out what he would have built the house for and it would have only been about 10 grand more tops he said. The resale is absolutely nothing compared to a stick built house and they want to sell because the house sucks, but are worried how hard it will be to sell.

My opinion after staying with them for the last 5 Thanksgiving weekends is it may be a stout structure, well insulated but everything in it is motel room cheap crap. Even though they upgraded alot. The faucets are plastic, tubs are plastic not Fibreglass, the trim is plastic strips 3/4 wide cut with scissors, the doors are cardboard junk, the carpet lasted 3 years, the lanoleum lasted 2 years, the furnace lasted 5 years, EVERYTHING is cheap junk.

Not only that but nothing is standard. If you want to replace a interior door you have to modify one from Menards because the doors are not standard height. The kitchen counter top is not 25" inches deep, the toilets are about 10 inches tall, the shower tubs are not 60" long, the fireplace has not worked right from day one and they cant even use it.

I would not consider buying one. Around here they have NO resale value. I guess it depends on what your circumstances are. But I would seriously consider having a contractor quote you a real house That you can afford now and that is designed to be easily added onto in the future when you have the money.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
If you are talking Mobile Homes...stay away. Resale value stinks and construction is a nightmare. When I was a kid, my parents bought a brand-new double-wide with all options. We parked it on 4 acres in St. Augustine, FL. Looked great, but the longer we lived in it, the more problems we had. When we tried to sell it the only thing that had any value was the land.

On the other hand...if you are talking a modular home, they can be every bit as good as a stick built. Up north in the NY area where I live now, they have to meet the same code as stick built due to snow, etc. The only reason they are less expensive than stick built is because they are built on an assembly line inside giant air-plane type hangers. Can build year round (weather is not a factor) and much quicker. I have seen some real nice ones. Many of the factories are located in PA. Hope that helps. :cool:

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I'm jealous that you guys can still get a house for less than 100K. Around here the manufactured home is 80K alone.

Steve

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You can get crap anywhere,even without knowing it. I am fairly certain that you could not find anything at maynerds that could justifiably be called quality,not to worry the other joints are marginally better and can be judged by the price! All the trailer parts they can put in a modular is gold in their bank. The biggest investment you will make and you know basically know nothing about what you are getting or you assume others do. Quality costs money,cheap sells,the cheap and easy always prevail,sounds familiar!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
FYI a modular home has no metal frame and can not be pulled. It is non site stick built and come in 2-4 or so pieces that are shipped separately and bolted together onsite. These qualify for (in WI anyway) conventional loans. When you sell it is just a home. Shop around for 6 inch walls, OSB floors and sheeting, copper wires ( I don't think aluminum wires are allowed any more but just in case) you are going to want a 200 amp service ( I know it may have gas heat, water heater, range and dryer but you will not always live there and the next people may want an electric dryer) Quality cupboards and doors. Low e windows ect... Just because some one builds you a house on site does not mean its a quality home. Shop around and play attentions.

Congrats on the raise and hope the house shopping goes well :cool:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Thanks for the info, guys.

I don't know what you're talking about with the loan stuff - basically all of our local banks do loans on "doublewides" - I was quoted 6.75% today - about the same as the 6.625% the FHA loan was going to be on a regular house.

Anyway, Most of the manufactured homes we have around here are Clayton homes - i.e. Clayton, Schult, Oakwood. . . all the same company.

http://www.clayton.net/

Also may look at this place up in Zanesville:

http://www.mymidwesthome.com/

What I was looking at today had 2x6 walls (7 1/2 foot), shingled roof, included all appliances. . .

1300-1700 square feet for $51000-$70,000.

I have to admit that these doublewide type homes have come a long way in 20 years. My grandparents bought one late in life and it seemed very cheap within a couple years - it had the toggle button light switches, very basic bathrooms, etc. . .

What we looked at today was actually pretty nice - even if they look a bit "cookie cutter".

I also looked at a two story 3-4 BR/2 BA older home that's been mostly re-modeled recently. Nice house about a half mile from my office - but it sits on a small lot on a hillside - 25 steps up to the front door. It needs maybe $5000.00 in finishing (baseboards, crown moulding, paint). The guy will sell it to me for $55,000.00. Most of the neighbors are decent - assistant manager at bank, other semi-professionals.

On the other hand, the little bit of yard it has is so steep it would be hard to mow and there's a registered sex offender 4 doors down on the other side of the street - and I have a daughter. . . I think I'll stay away from that one . . .

My best bet right now is probably the house in the pic and described below - we'll be looking at it next week. It's in a quickly developing part of the county (and is only about 5 miles from an MX track with open practice every day upon request). :laugh: The problem is that it's about 16 miles from work and 35 miles from my in-laws (not a problem for me, but you know how wives and daughters are). I had hoped to be closer to work, though.

TUPPERS PLAINS- Arbaugh Addition- Cute ranch home with 3 bedrooms, bath, total electric, all appliances included, 1 car att. garage, rear decking with above ground pool, breezeway, wood flooring. Nice large lot of over 1 acre. ASKING $78,500.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
A couple questions:

1: Anybody have an idea what it might cost for the concrete, blocks, mortar to build a basement? I know a guy who can do it and will work for $10.00/hr (and my bro would as well) and I have friends how could help on and off - and I have free access to a backhoe.

2: How much will the manufactured home dealers come down?

3: How much will a realtor come down?

For example - they're asking $78,500 on the home above. Do you think it's possible that I might get them down to $70,000?

I have no idea how to negotiage these things - I'll probably have my boss do that part of it for me. . .

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
splatt said:
I'm jealous that you guys can still get a house for less than 100K. Around here the manufactured home is 80K alone.

Steve

Yea. Well there is a down side to the area as well. I just got a 30% raise, will be licensed to practice law in 2 states within about 2 months and still the only way I'll make $40,000.00 this year is if I either work quite a bit of overtime or hit a couple good contingent fee cases - and get paid on them.

I do have a couple cases at the moment that could easily double or triple my salary in one day, but it will probably be two years or so before any check comes in.

Cheap housing is nice, but if I moved to Columbus, I'd probably make twice the money - or more. Then again, the money wouldn't go nearly as far and I'd have to deal with the city on a daily basis.

I'll take the trade off. I've got 6 MX tracks within an hour and a half and lots of available trail riding.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Check the cabinet doors and interior doors to see if they are wood or wood by-product,the latter is allot cheaper and holds up miserably! Anyone chintzing over 1to2 dollars and installs osb and similar engineered products are the ones ruining quality housing.Tgi floor joist are strong,can span great distance,BUT,with a 300 lb load will deflect 3/4 of an inch,this material will sag a great distance,do not know if it returns or for how long! Putting 5/8 drywall on it decreases its deflection dramatically,wonder how improperly installed drywall will hold bouncing up and down! Yellow pine and I-beams,geez,why mess with what works,these trampoline houses are getting fixed in 10 years and less,I work in houses 60 years old and I am the first person to come in for problems. Friend had a 4000 sq.ft. victorian thing built by his buddies,2 years later I pulled the front corner of the house back together,spent over a year fixing screw-ups,money saved in the long run,none.PM me and I will tell you what osb stands for,2 ways this product is preferred over plywood is price and ability to take load between centers,yes it sags very good! I would not build a dog house out of this material,does not like moisture,much less water,and loses its load bearing in bunches! It then returns to what it came from,sawdust,plywood delaminates,will hold a load better,nails, screws and glue hold better, And don't be downwind of osb burning! These products insure that it will not be around in 100 years. There was a period around here when they put no sheathing on the outside,just cut some wind bracing in,glad to see that has dwindled and at least them heathens are at least back to putting osb on. Cheepscapes

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
The standard features on the ones we're looking at include:

OSB Roof Decking
Weathered Grey Fiberglass Shingles
Zone II Insulation 11-11-21
Solid Steel 12 1/2" I Beam Frame
Full Length outriggers and Crossmembers
2x6 walls
2x8 floor joists
4x8 OSB Floor Decking Tongue and Groove
Tack Strip Carpet Installation
Double Marriage Walls
Nickle Hardware
8 ft flat ceilings
15KW Electric Furnace
200 AMP Electrical Panel Box
40 Gallon Water Heater
GE Appliances
16 Foot frost free Refrigerator
Electric Range
30" Overhead Cabinets

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
BTW, I know what OSB is - I know just enough carpentry to get myself in trouble. Helped roof 3 or 4 houses and helped dad build our first house.

In other words, I basically can't do anything substantial by myself, but I'm pretty useful when directed.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's YOUR realitors job to both advise you on an appropriate offer and to help negotiate things not your boss'.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
When it comes to buying houses beware, believe me I know. My wife and I bought a brand new house in Demotte Indiana and lost EVERYTHING(150K). The courts and the Attorneys are nothing but a bunch of rip offs especially to people who are politically connected.There is a Indiana Law stating that brand new houses are covered by warranty, well don't believe it.You better make sure whoever builds this knows what they are doing and can prove it, if you want the whole story give me a call it would take too long to put it all here. :|

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Patman said:
It's YOUR realitors job to both advise you on an appropriate offer and to help negotiate things not your boss'.

Yea - and it's also the realtor's job to take several % of the deal.

I was recently involved in a case where the realtor had double agency and totally screwed the buyer - sold them a house that had not been properly inspected and it was filled with ecoli - worst case the Health Department had ever seen.

Personally, I'd prefer to buy direct from seller, but. . . Anyway, since it's a small town and my boss knows everyone and is the (part time) county court judge, I think he can pull some strings - thus why I want to get him involved.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Kind of off topic, but I saw something where the Amish are building modular homes now. I would expect quality craftsmanship from them.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
My home is a modular.

Modular homes come in all shapes ans sizes, and the quality differs amongst manufacturers too. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. However, with that said, I believe I saved about 20% from the cost of a "stick-built" home. And that figure doesn't factor in the fact that I acted as my own General Contractor (something I wouldn't suggest to a first-time builder). In the end I'm sure I saved 30% or more.

My house is over 5,000 sq. ft. (plus a 2,600 SqFt full basement) with a 3 1/2 car garage. The quality of the construction is about the best I have ever seen. When I designed and ordered my home (yes, you can design your own) I eliminated the things that modular homes manufacturers typically don't do well; mainly the siding and the flooring.

I'm glad that I built a modular home, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Choose your builder on quality first, price second. After all, if you aren't happy with the quality of the home, it doesn't matter how much (or little) you paid for it.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
Hey how about the Newton County,In Building department. Neither the inspector nor his deputy had ANY BUILDING EXPERIENCE AT ALL,NONE,NADA,NO HIGHER EDUCATION, NOTHING. NEPOTISM BIG TIME. Can you sue the building department for lying under oath and not inspecting, no you cannot, they are exempt from prosecution.The building department, the builder,the Judge all sleeping together. 150 grand in damage 10k for a pos attorney what did we get, the shaft, nothing.This lawsuit just ended, 3 years fighting for nothing. All our money gone.Its not fair,but there it is.It's who you know..........
You have to remember this was a brand new 2400 sq 2 story on 1 3/4 acres, we reported problems within 6 months, it went down hill from there, water damage,toxic mold,foundation failure etc etc etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom