kamracer915

Apr 14, 2004
Im about to service the Marzucci forks on my 04 Gas Gas and I have never been into a pair of those before. Ive done Kayaba and Showa forks before and was wondering If there was anything unusual I need to know or look out for before I dove in. Thanks for any feed back.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I have just bought a brand new set also, and am fitting them to my TM250-e, I got the help of the local mechanic at our TM dealer....he kindly showed me what to do. Very easy to work on. There is a black slider that sits in between the spring if that snags at all file it down a bit....add 105mls of oil for enduro or 90-95 mls for motocross.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Forgot to add....i was told to keep a good eye on them as there is a bushing that wears quickly...also they are take a long time to bed in but once they do they are one of the best forks out there.Add 5mls more oil than reccommended for either mx or enduro!!

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
I have 2 sets of these (04 GG and a spare set). Almost identical to KYBs. Very easy to work on.

John

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
The bushing they are refering to is on the cartridge rod. These are the only forks I've had apart that use a metal bushing on the piston instead of a nylon band. You can just replace the bushing with the band off a 25mm jap fork.

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
In order to get the Gas Gas working better I would recommend the following. The shims on the Marzocchi valves do not completely cover the piston ports. This provides a plush feel intially but allows the fork to fall through the stroke way to easily. Revalve the comp, reb and midvalve to your desired specs with shims the cover the ports correctly. I would highly recommend machining the bushing land to allow the bushing to flex similar to a KYB fork. The fork travel is much shorter than the shock. The wheelbase is also too small making the bike pitch for and aft too easily. Place a 6mm travel limiting spacer in the shock. This will stabilise the bike and provide a better balance front to rear. The motor on the GG is sweet but the suspension lets it down a little. Explore these mods and you wil have a better time of it.
Terry

LJW

Dec 3, 2001
KTM-Lew said:
The bushing they are refering to is on the cartridge rod. These are the only forks I've had apart that use a metal bushing on the piston instead of a nylon band. You can just replace the bushing with the band off a 25mm jap fork.

Can you give a specific brand/model/yr recommendation for a replacement?

The upper and lower bushings seem very loose for brand new equipment. With the forks fully extended, I measure .025 movement at the axle. That's more slop than the old junk I'm replacing had! Aren't USD forks supposed to be more rigid than conventional fork assemblies?

Any ideas how to shorten overall fork length and travel about 2 inches?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom