smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
I have a big oil leak problem on my kx80, it is in an odd place to, it leaks badly where my pipe and silencer slide together, i believe that my transmision is leaking oil into my combustion chamber and then all that accesive oil either comes out were the pipe and silencer slide into each other or the end of the silencer, does that sound like a reasonable posibilty, if so what whould cause that (broken seal or o-ring?). Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
See if the tanny fluid is going down when you ride.

If it's not, I would give pretty strong odds it is a jetting problem, not a leak.

If it is, I would give pretty strong odds it is a jetting problem, and the tranny is leaking from elsewhere. lol

thats my way of saying, I think it is probably jets, but it is possible that it is a tranny leak. Checking the tranny fluid will tell you if it is leaking, if it's not, you know where to go (jet your bike).

Assuming I am correct, and you find it to be jetting, do a search here and you'll find so many posts about jetting it will boggle your mind. You will probably even find some about jetting kx80's, maybe even a '96, who knows.... but give it a whilrl and then, if you have any questions after that, bring them in. (to the right forum)

Are KX80's considered 'mini's'? I always thought mini's was like the 50's and 70's.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If you've had the bike for awhile and it has only recently started I would suspect a leaking crank seal. If you just got the bike it's possible it is jetted poorly but most of the KX80's I've seen over the years are at least in the ball park for jetting so they may spooge a bit but not a "huge" leak.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
smahala1286 said:
to replace the crank seals would that require spliting the case?
Chili said:
bummer for you.... splitting a case can be a real, well, you know what....

I suggest you take it to a shop unless you have pretty decent mechanical skills, a good set of tools and a place to work on it (read- leave it for a bit while you get sorted out what you really do need and get it ordered up.... there will, most likely, be other things you will want to fix as well) It's not that any single thing is too much to tackle, it's more that all together it is a lot of work to someone who either doesn't have the proper tools or the right attitude for the job.

If you tackle it yourself, go slow and be patient and it will pay off in the end when you smile and ride the bike you tore all they way down and put back together.

Good luck!!

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
yeah i have alot of maechanical skills but they are all with cars i think i will check around at the shops around here and get some quotes.

Top Bottom