Maxima K-2, Klotz R-50, Bel-ray H1R, or Motul 800?

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
The Motul is excellent, but the K-2 seems to burn cleaner in a 250.

The K-2 is my pick, also the Redline is real good too.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
No steve, the motul doesnt burn in a 250 as you cant load it enough and put enough heat in the cylinder;) under extreme conditions the motul will protect better, but in reality none of us need that extra protection.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Just pick a good synthetic that is readily available and you will be just fine. I have been running Bell Ray MC-1 but will probaly switch to the HR-1 once I run out of what I have just because the say "it is formulated to be mixed at 32-40:1" instead of the MC-1 wich you are supposed to mix at 50:1 but I have ran it 40:1 with no problems.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I used to swear by Bel-ray, but it seems like I never loaded the engine enough to get it to burn, and with my jetting off it fouled plugs. I run Klotz R-50 now, no problems, hardly ever foul plugs, but I also learned to ride in the powerband, not BERRRIP, BOWWWWWW, BERRR, BOWWW. lol.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have had excellent luck running the Motul 800 in 2 cr's and 2 rm's. Every time I tore down the top ends, I was amazed at how well they held up and how clean the powervalve assemblies were. Costs a bit more, but until I'm convinced something will work better, I will continue to run the Motul 32:1.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Drippy Pipe

I just bought a CR250 and it's interesting you guys are talking about this right now.... but I have a question or comment. The guy I bought it from gave me like 4-5 qts of Motul... which one, (800,etc) I am not sure, but this thing is spewing/dripping oil from the silencer. I think it may be because it is really not loaded (like someone was saying earlier) as it is ridden in the woods and not really revved hard and is lugged. Any comments on this? Do you guys that run the Motul see the same (unburnt oil).... it is really bad and dripping on the caliper. :ohmy: With my riding style being putt putt (no comments please :laugh: ) should I change oil or change the mix ratio to get to use the "free" oil? Right now, he puts one bottle per 5 gallons. Thanks for the help... the last time I premixed, besides my weedeater, was in 1979! :rotfl:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
800 is overkill for a 500, it just wont get burnt IMO, it maybe also jetted rich but im guessing even with perfect jetting it will do similar, if you carry on it will saturate the silencer packing.Then when you ever get to really open her up, it will burn the packing -ive seen this a few times, maybe swap the oil with someone with a 125?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have very little spooge running the Motul 800 @ 32:1 in both my 02 ( with a PWK Keihin carb) and 99 cr250s. I have played with the jetting for crisp throttle response, so they are both quite a bit leaner than stock. I will get slightly more spooge after alot of slow single track, but it never drips onto the rear caliper. Although I also never ride single track all day. We usually mix in some mx or hillclimbs along the way, so maybe keeping the revs up occasionally keeps my bikes a bit cleaner. I actually believe the 800 is overkill for my application, too. But since I haven't had any running problems, and I like the way the bikes look at teardown time, I see no reason to change.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom