RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
hey, lately when i have been riding my bike, i would get in high rpm ranges and let off the gas, while the engine slows down i cant hear the piston tap off the spark, as in the piston clang on a 2 stroke, is this bad? It almost sounds like it is bogging, but it is not. i have heard that it is the sparkplug, even the piston rings could be burnt and letting air in. thank you all for your response. by the way, the bike is a 2006 RM85L. :cool:

Also when the engine lowers in rpm's and makes the weird sound, i am not on the gas, but once it hits lower rpm's you can hear the piston tapping again, like normal.

Last edited:

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
sorry oldguy. let me try again, it is hard to explain.
when i ride my bike, and i get it in high rpm's it will run fine. until i let off the gas and go in the process of slowing down, you can NOT hear the regular piston tap from a two stroke engine. it almost sounds like a sport bike(crotch rocket) slowing down(they have a smooth sound). could it be from the spark plug? somebody also told me that it could be the piston rings. it is only until i get in the 5000-6000 rpm range that i can hear the piston tap. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Sometimes it's hard to put stuff you are hearing into words.
try to describe piston tap for us?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I know, your reeds are shot! The 80 taps, normally. Ignition, it goes pop, pop, and when you let off full throttle it is not popping? It is loading up with fuel and not igniting? Big bikes do not tap or pop, they go brap! Semantics, they get argued a lot!

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
thank you papa-keith for saying that. but the problem is not the piston tapping (papakeith, say you just started a 2 stroke, you know the sound? I am talking about the clang clang clang of the piston when the bike is sitting there.) thank you whenfoxforksruled, it sounds like it might be the reeds. but couldnt it be the sparkplug? if it is the reeds, would it hurt if i still rode the bike with them damaged? i am so very sorry though everybody, it is hard to explain the situation.

whenfoxforksruled, the fuel is igniting, but i can not here the "piston tap" from the engine when i am lowering in rpm's. nothing is wrong with the fuel igniting. even when this is happening, it still has a butload of power. :laugh:

i hope i get this sorted out fast, i am going riding with my friend this saturday, while i am getting a sparkplug (if i need it) and crankcase oil this friday, so please help.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Pull the carb off and look into the reed cage with a flashlight. It would be easier to just pull the reed out, but you will need 2 new gaskets. What does the plug look like?
You are going a long wfo and completely let off the throttle. Now if you turn the throttle back to wfo does it hesitate, or does the power pick back up?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I'm thinking loose piston clearance. time for a new topend.

do a compression test. just swap the plug out to see if its it. in still there then do compression test.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom